This position supports, under the direction of the Chief Engineer, the maintenance and safe operation of the vessels machinery. In addition, the position ensures the cleanliness of all engine and machinery spaces.
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the policies and standard operating procedures of Vulcan Inc. In addition, all duties are to be executed in conformity with ISM/SMS standards, STCW conventions and all other environmental protection and safety policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the 1st Engineer in the safe operation and maintenance of the vessels machinery.
- General fitting and machining or equipment as directed by the 1st Engineer or Chief Engineer.
- Maintain cleanliness of equipment and assist with general cleaning of machinery spaces and the workshop.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- 5 years of sea-going experience as a machinist or wiper on vessels of similar size.
Required computer skills
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid STCW-95
- Valid ENG1
- Valid B1/B2
- Valid Passport
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Capable of standing for long periods of time (up to 8 plus hours).
- Ability to perform occasional kneeling, crouching, stooping; frequent reaching, pushing, pulling; and constant lifting, carrying, handling and standing.
- Ability to lift and move up to 35 pounds/16 Kilos. Ability to lift and move weight in excess of 35 pounds/16 Kilos with assistance.
- Ability to function effectively in a demanding and diverse multi-cultural environment.
- Must be self-directed and have the temperament and interpersonal skills to work and live
in close-quarters with other members of the crew for extended periods.
- Ability to live on board a vessel during long distance passages with the possibility of excessive motion due to rough conditions (up to 4 weeks) and minimal access to land based resources.
- Ability to function and work effectively in a high pace, high stress environment to produce a quality product/service for owner’s and guests in a timely manner.
This job opening has been filled or removed by the company.
Try one of the other jobs at Vulcan.