Vulcan’s Technology Group develops cutting-edge technology to further Vulcan’s philanthropic, scientific and technology missions. This team has the opportunity to design, build, and deploy products and services that improve people’s lives and expand the frontiers of science and technology.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial Senior Program Manager who will be responsible for a wide range of technology development projects, from conception through delivery. A significant number of these projects may involve managing third parties who are engaged in scientific or technology research and development. This position entails identifying requirements and objectives, developing strategic plans, building relationships with external partners, coordinating with multiple internal and external groups, motivating and managing project teams, executing program plans, and managing budget and program risks. This role requires diverse business experience, technical acumen, technical program management expertise, and strong communication skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage cross-departmental program and project teams involved in philanthropic, advanced technology, and business infrastructure initiatives.
- Identify, recruit, contract and manage third-party service providers.
- Validate third-party project plans, and monitor progress against those plans.
- Articulate crisp, measurable outcomes and milestones.
- Gather, analyze, and prioritize customer and program requirements.
- Manage programs and teams in a resilient, collaborative manner.
- Communicate clearly and openly with stakeholders.
- Create project documentation such as project plans, budgets, functional requirements and specifications, gap and dependency analyses, project briefs, and periodic reports.
- Coordinate with Vulcan’s legal, finance, and purchasing groups.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to less experienced project managers and team-members.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or abilities required:
- 6-10 years as an engineer or program manager, with a minimum of 2 years’ PM experience at a high-performing, high-growth business or research organization.
- Experience managing cross-departmental project teams involved in complex enterprise-level company initiatives or significant external product development.
- Demonstrated good judgement and proven analytical, problem-solving, and quantitative abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, tasks, and priorities and to create order from ambiguity.
- Strong collaboration, team building, and leadership skills with internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Thorough understanding of program management methodologies within agile, waterfall and hybrid development frameworks.
- Mastery of JIRA, LiquidPlanner or other project management tools.
- Thorough understanding of software and hardware development life cycles, development processes, risk mitigation, and quality assurance.
- Some experience in an academic or private research organization desired.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and 6 plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be 10%.