Vulcan’s Philanthropic Technology Group is a dynamic team responsible for the development of cutting-edge technology to further Vulcan’s philanthropic mission. This team has the opportunity to be on the ground floor in designing, building, and deploying multiple cutting edge products that will have a global impact.
The Senior Software Engineer position is a key role on the team, demonstrating a wide assortment of skills and talents on a regular basis. The right candidate will work closely with multiple development teams and external partners to strategize and design solutions to difficult problems. The candidate will be confident in the use of the latest tools and best practices, and comfortable both teaching and learning from teams of extremely talented engineers.
The Sr. Software Engineer will work with our NGO and academic partners to develop technology solutions in the world of wildlife conservation, ocean health, climate change, and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with team members and project stakeholders to architect, scope, develop and deliver world-class scalable software solutions
- Build efficient and reusable services that can scale horizontally and vertically.
- Apply your exceptional analytical and technical problem solving skills to the development and delivery of software solutions
- Provide technical leadership, oversight, and mentoring to other team members
- Work with NGO and academic partners to understand their requirements
- Be disciplined with implementing unit tests, continuous integration and continuous delivery to production, source code repositories and build systems for web, web services, database, and mobile applications
- Advocate and drive improvement of the team’s agile development processes
- Research cutting edge technologies and novel technical solutions to help improve our applications and services
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Experience successfully building and deploying complex software systems to customers
- Experience designing and developing large data stores and/or web services
- Ability to advance philanthropic initiatives through the development of visionary technical solutions that can be applied in developing areas through strong architectural and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated track record of ramping up in complex technical domains
- Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Excellent coding experience in open source languages
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Identify key technology innovations, trends, opportunities and vulnerabilities, and convey them appropriately to senior management
- Demonstrated personal passion and action for philanthropic endeavors as evidenced by taking leadership roles in solving humanitarian problems through technology oriented solutions
- Motivated self-starter who is highly results driven, takes enormous pride in work & demonstrates a high degree of enthusiasm for engineering excellence & ongoing self-development
- Technical innovator and thought leader, with ability to demonstrate and inspire continuous learning, experimentation, and data and metrics-driven decision making
- Bachelor’s degree ideally in Computer Science from accredited institution and six plus years relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong skill set with data analysis, data mining, probability and statistics is a big plus
- Some background in machine learning or statistics, or prior experience partnering with data scientists