We are on the hunt for a world class senior server engineer with expert Java or Go development skills to join our specialist server team as we approach the launch of a genre disrupting mobile title.
The NaturalMotion London team have created something truly unique with the Dawn of Titans project and over three years have established one of the most talented teams in the games industry. Our game will bring a console-quality experience to mobile, featuring ground-breaking graphics, an unparalleled collaborative multiplayer environment and an adventure that will retain players for many years to come. In this bold move to position ourselves as a world leader in AAA mobile game development, server infrastructure with undisruptive seamless gameplay becomes the plinth to our success.
Our small but elite team of server engineers hold over seventy years of coding experience across multiple technical industries, offering high performance from day one and allowing you to reach new levels of coding excellence, always pushing the boundaries of server technology. What challenges await you?
What you will bring:
- Developing high-performance game logic in a distributed fashion exposed to millions of users.
- Write robust code that runs on AWS.
- Maintaining the current code base through its lifecycle over many short development iterations and collaborating with your awesome team to ensure superior quality of code at every step of the journey.
- Working with our client side games development teams to develop robust extensible systems.
- Managing the intelligent storage of a huge amount of player and game data.
- Plan for growth from the infrastructure point of view and solution components accordingly.
- Improve our games solutions architecture, processes and code base.
- Operate a live game
- Keeping the fun - we believe that a team that has fun whilst coding is an essential part of making a fun and engaging experience for our audience.
- Excellent engineering skills
- Java or Go expertise to a world-class level
- Expertise in asynchronous I/O and highly concurrent programming
- Good understanding of Availability, Reliability, and Scalability
- Expert in HTTP and RESTFul services
- Proficiency in Memcache and Redis
- Commercial experience working with SOA (Service Orientated Architecture) and/or microservices
- Commercial experience of IaaS/SaaS/PaaS services, specifically on AWS
- Highly versed in the creation of large scale and complex applications
- Proficiency in Linux
- Experience of using Git
- “Can-do” attitude and DevOps culture
- Enthusiastic team player
The Joel Test:
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- PHP/Scala/Closure/C#/F#/Haskel/Erlang/C/C++/Rust experience (we love polyglot engineers!)
- Functional programming experience
- Working knowledge of Chef
- Expert on AWS services (architected/develop AWS based solutions with 100+ instances)
- Commercial experience on scalable distributed systems
- A passion for computer games, specifically social, mobile and strategy
What do we give you?
- Do you use source control? YES
- Can you make a build in one step? YES
- Do you make daily builds? YES
- Do you have a bug database? YES
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? YES
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? YES
- Do you have a spec? YES
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? YES
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? YES
- Do you have testers? YES
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? NO
- Do you do hallway usability testing? YES
- The opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme
- Zynga Stock
- Flexible working hours
- Discounted gym membership at Studio local gyms
- Free fruit & soft drinks
- 23 days holiday
- The opportunity to join the childcare voucher and cycle to work schemes
- Summer and Christmas parties and Happy Hour in every Studio, every Friday
- £150 towards a team budget (you get to choose how you want to spend it)
- A discretionary annual bonus