Suffolk University invites qualified candidates to apply for a full-time Medical Assistant in the Counseling, Health & Wellness center. The Medical Assistant will perform delegated direct medical care functions and related activities for university student patients under the supervision of a registered NP, PA, or MD. S/he will assist the Medical Director and Medical Records Coordinator with student immunization compliance via medical documentation review and administration of vaccinations. S/he will contribute to ensuring student health services operate in a safe and efficient manner.
- Perform standard phlebotomy procedures utilizing universal precautions
- Administer intramuscular injections utilizing universal precautions
- Accurately and effectively utilizes stethoscope, BP cuff, pulse oximeter, thermometer, peak flow meter, nebulizer with chamber, O2 tank with mask, orthopedic supports, phlebotomy medical tools, and computer in support of patient care.
- Provide timely and accurate medical documentation and communicates with advanced written and verbal skills; including utilization of the EMR system – Medicat and other medical documentation.
- Manage and organize multiple tasks and medical details in a cyclically fast-paced primary care setting
- Ensures effective interactions with patients
- Actively participates in quality improvement process
- Assist Associate Director for Operations with regular maintenance and ordering of office medical supplies, including vaccines
- Assist Associate Director for Operations with timely monitoring/replacement of medical supplies and equipment in medical examination rooms
- Act in compliance with regulatory and professional standards and guidelines
- Act in compliance with university policies, procedures and regulatory requirements
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary Counseling, Health and Wellness Team
- Participate in weekly clinical staff meetings and other meetings as required
- Attend Counseling, Health and Wellness professional development programs
- Serve as a member of the Counseling, Health and Wellness Team during times of campus student health crises
- Participate in campus health outreach programs as appropriate and as clinical schedule permits
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Counseling, Health and Wellness and the Medical Director
Note: Position involves exposure to blood, body tissues, poisonous substances, dust, and chemicals.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of CAAHEP approved program with related CMA certification by recognized accrediting agency such as AAMA or AMT.
- One year work experience, preferably in similar outpatient setting.
- Able to push, pull, and lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to perform manipulative skills such as calibration of equipment and taking blood pressures
- Able to perform tasks which require hand steadiness, such as phlebotomy, taking blood pressures, and calibration of tools and equipment
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Able to remain in uncomfortable positions for prolonged periods of time such as bending over tables
- Able to see objects closely as in reading thermometers
- Able to distinguish respiratory sounds such as voice patterns and auscultatory sounds
Other jobs at Suffolk University