AdvancePierre Foods, a leader in the food industry, is a rapidly growing company that values a talented, diverse and dedicated workforce. We have an opening for a Food Scientist-Assembled Products. Our rapid growth allows us to provide a wide array of developmental opportunities, and we reward associates who are results-oriented, live up to their commitments, and who can align their work activities with the goals of the organization.
GREAT BENEFITS! (Medical, Dental, 401K Match) COMPETITIVE SALARY!
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY
The Food Scientist-Assembled Products is responsible for carrying out the investigations, experimental design, formulation testing, decision making and commercialization of new product, product renovation and product maintenance projects. In collaboration with cross functional team and working independently under the leadership of R&D Manager, the R&D Food Scientist is responsible to manage project deliverables of multiple complex projects to contribute to achieving short and long term departmental and company objectives. This position will work closely with cross-functional partners in Marketing, Consumer Insights and Sales to carry out product design and development work leading to products that deliver on consumer and customer needs. The position works collaboratively with manufacturing, Quality and Supply chain functions to assure products consistently deliver on product design.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Working with a high level of independence, the incumbent will manage multiple complex product and process development projects and programs.
- Take ownership in problem identification and resolution to facilitate new or improved product, product upgrades, new or improved processes and cost savings.
- Responsible to assure all projects are completed according to established departmental processes and priorities.
- Assure that product design fully incorporates consumer insights and customer need.
- Support department management to prioritize work to maximize results.
- Assure new and renovated products are integrated into production systems to assure long term, commercially successful products are launched into the marketplace.
- Coordinate development of product features and benefits, preparation instructions, nutritional values, product claims, storage, shipping and handling information with marketing organization to assure full regulatory compliance and successful communication with sales team and customers.
Productivity & Cost Management
- With a detailed understanding of standard production cost models; designing products to achieve targeted pricing and margins.
- Working closely with Engineering and Operations, define capital equipment needs to commercialize New to APF products and justify expenditures against product potential.
- Investigate and recommend cost savings opportunities in factories and management processes.
- Understand and relate how product cost variances affect key financial indicators.
- Manage requisition and payment process for departmental expenses.
Innovation & Idea Generation
- Keep current on new ingredients, processes and equipment through trade journals, professional meetings, food shows and meetings with technical representative.
- In collaboration with Insights and Innovation work, contribute new product concepts for consideration.
- Support philosophy of encouraging all members of the organization to participate in generating new product ideas, continuous product and process improvement.
- Know current USDA, FDA, FNS regulations as they relate to the food processing industry.
- Establish knowledgeable contacts with expertise in USDA, FDA and FNS regulations. Develop products and processes with a defined HACCP program.
- Understand the needs of the customer and their specific market segments.
- Coordinate and participate in key customer product presentations.
- Participate in interactions with Sales Associates and Customers to provide appropriate product information; network with sales and broker representatives to understand issues and opportunities.
- Act as coach, mentor and technical resource to Research & Development and cross functional staff members.
- Serve as technical resource to organization in at least one complex critical area of focus.
- High level contributor to developing data and making presentations to senior leadership, customers and/or partners.
- Take leadership role in development or updating of departmental policies, procedures and tools the improve efficiency of departmental work.
- Participate in an environment of exploration and investigation; practice fact based decision making.
Establish & Maintain Critical Business Relationships
- Build supportive relationships with cross functional peers within the AdvancePierre Foods labeling, marketing, sales, manufacturing, strategic sourcing, insights and innovation, packaging engineering, engineering, finance and business support functions.
- Build partnerships with co-packers and ingredient suppliers.
- Communicate frequently with industry contacts to stay abreast of technical and market developments.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven success in development and commercialization of frozen and/or refrigerated meat products.
- Technical knowledge with good reasoning and sound judgment abilities.
- Mature, enthusiastic, motivated team member.
- Effective written and oral communication skills. Must be PC literate; able to support development of effective processes and systems to manage departmental objectives.
- Excellent work ethic with proven ability to effectively balance multiple priorities.
- Creative problem solving skills and an orientation towards innovation.
- Profit oriented.
- Ability to establish credibility with others.
- Ability to recognize and support the organizations preferences and priorities.
- Able to work in office, laboratory, manufacturing environments. Must be able to work flexible hours as needed based on production scheduling needs. Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Minimum 5 years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred, in Food Science, Meat Science, Bakery Science or an equivalent science program and at least seven years of progressive responsibility in technical areas of food processing.
If you are interested in this great opportunity with a competitive salary, please apply now!