Telltale Game Writers are the primary champions and implementers of quality storytelling for our industry-leading, story-driven titles, working closely with game designers focusing on character development, dialog, thematic coherence and the overall narrative-driven experience of the game.
- Lead a team of writers to craft compelling, engaging, and immersive narrative game experiences for a given episode and/or an entire season.
- Revise and edit scripts under tight deadlines based on internal and external feedback.
- Provide constructive feedback and guidance to other members of the writing staff.
- Work with game designers in a writers’ room to meld narrative elements with good game design.
- Generate outlines, story treatments, character descriptions, casting documents, and other support materials.
- Create and collaborate in the creation of consistent characters, strong motivations, dramatic arcs, and meaningful story content during the development process.
- Write interactive scripts to accomplish all of the above while supporting gameplay needs. Exceptional dialog skills are a must.
- Assist as needed with marketing and other company communications that require the written word.
- Ability to craft compelling fictional stories across multiple genres.
- Ability to create professional work under tight deadlines to meet demanding production schedules.
- Strong understanding of how to work with other disciplines in a highly collaborative studio environment.
- Knowledge of dramatic form and how to write cinematically.
- Understanding of how to use narrative events and game design to grow and impact characters in ways that encourage player investment and deepen player immersion.
- Ability to write snappy and engrossing dialog in different voices.
- Ability to analyze and understand the tone, theme and tropes of an existing intellectual property, and emulate its style while still making it your own.
- Ability to respond to story notes and other editorial feedback in a prompt, effective, and professional manner.
- Deadline oriented.
- Five or more years of disciplined writing in a professional capacity.
- College degree in screenwriting, creative writing, filmmaking, narrative design, or similar; or equivalent professional experience.
- Knowledge of games and interactivity from storytelling, character development, and user engagement perspectives. You must not only play video games, but understand them as a dramatic form.
Please submit at least two polished samples demonstrating mastery of narrative structure, character development and dialog.
Samples should be full-length, not excerpts (Shorter forms like television or comic scripts are acceptable, but the samples should showcase a complete story from beginning to end).
If you do not have professional experience, please submit at least four samples.
Samples should showcase cinematic scriptwriting (feature, television, game, or comic scripts), NOT prose (novels, short stories). Comedy and serious drama are both relevant, so send us your best overall work.
All samples must be attached in PDF format. Please do not cut and paste your work into the writing sample section.
- Professional experience as a writer / narrative designer for games, either independently or in a studio environment.
- Professional screenwriting experience working with the major studios and/or leading production companies.
- Episodic television writing and story development experience.
- Direct experience working with actors, either as a director or in another professional capacity.
- Experience with tools such as game engines, interactive fiction systems, non-linear video editing, Flash, etc.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING – IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT A WRITING SAMPLE: By applying for the position and submitting any writing sample (the “Sample”) to Telltale, Inc. (“Telltale”), you understand and acknowledge that Telltale is constantly developing in-house ideas, formats, stories, concepts, artwork and the like (collectively, “Creative Elements”), and that many such Creative Elements developed by Telltale now or in the future may be similar to or identical to those contained in your Sample. You agree that Telltale will not be held liable for any such similarities and that Telltale’s use or development of Creative Elements similar to or identical with any material or elements (including Creative Elements) contained in the Sample shall not obligate Telltale to you in any manner. In connection with your agreement to these terms, you expressly waive any claims you may have against Telltale arising from or relating to your submission of the Sample.
Candidates must be authorized to work and accept new employment in the U.S.
Telltale Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer and ADA compliant.