Minted is a lifestyle brand and design marketplace connecting you with the world’s best artists to create something one of a kind. Minted crowdsources graphic design and artwork from a global community of independent artists and sells these as products addressing the $10 billion stationery market, $48 billion art market, and $100 billion home decor market.
Minted’s mission is to enable the design independence of both consumers and artists around the world, and the company is a platform for the strongest emerging artists in the world to be seen and discovered. We aim to build a lasting brand representing the most commercially successful design community in the world. Minted was founded by successful serial entrepreneur Mariam Naficy.
Minted is located in a beautiful office in downtown San Francisco and is backed by Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, and angel investors including Marissa Mayer of Yahoo and Jeremy Stoppelman of Yelp. Minted is comprised of an experienced and entrepreneurial team. We come from Google, Amazon, Microsoft, eBay, Yahoo, and Goldman Sachs and numerous disruptive startups. We are a passionate, creative, ambitious team. We provide a great opportunity to work with a stellar team and on a world-changing mission, all supported by a proven business model.
About the Role
The Sr. Director, Analytics will directly drive the further evolution of a data-driven culture at Minted where sound analytics methodology, insights and tools inform Minted’s overall strategy, product decisions, continuous improvement and marketing tactics leading us to stronger growth and profitability. They will build relationships throughout the business by delivering on business as usual, while simultaneously building and creating new infrastructure, processes and analytical capabilities.
This individual will have broad ownership over all analytics, business intelligence, and reporting at Minted, including sales, merchandising, marketing, and web behavioral analytics.
The hub of our analytics environment is a Redshift cluster that is connected by a wide variety of inbound as well outbound data pipelines. We work with raw weblog data and transactional data from minted’s upstream environments as well as with a wide variety and ever expanding list of 3rd party data sources including Salesforce, Responsys, Survey Monkey, and Axciom. On the outbound side, the analytics environment systematically provisions data to our web and email personalized marketing engines, to a custom as well as an off-the shelf BI platform, and through an API layer that can be used to call for specific metrics. We are continually pushing on the boundaries of how we make our analytics data the most valuable and accessible in the industry. We have a dedicated data engineering team you'll work closely with.
- Provide analytical thought leadership, and ensure the use of robust methodologies across the company; Support the reporting and analytics needs of all functional areas, bringing an analytical approach to decision-making to all areas of the company including Marketing, Merchandising, Community, Product Management, Finance and Operations
- Is technologically astute and partners with the engineering team to define and drive technology architecture and solutions to deliver our data and analytics needs
- Defines KPIs and tracks the company’s progress on Board-approved goals across all areas of the business
- Transform raw data into meaningful and impactful analysis characterized by strong data governance, technique transparency and aggressive documentation and communication
- Develop reporting and analytics capability in order to create consistency in report design and reporting systems and best leverage our strongest analysts and scarce engineering resources – in essence, Analytics will become the Product Manager of analytics reports for all functions of the company.
- Democratize data to make actionable data available to all employees, thereby enabling data driven decisions across the company
- Define revenue and traffic attribution models to maximize performance visibility
- Drive cross-functional analytical projects that stretch across multiple business units and require input from many stakeholders
- Evaluate product and marketing performance to provide actionable insights with an eye towards traffic and monetization and user engagement objectives; Develop sound reporting around traffic, conversion, average transaction size, etc.
- Partner with head of marketing and finance to continually evolve our understanding of acquisition cost, customer lifetime value, retention, and purchase characteristics by cohort and channel, in order to maximize the return on our marketing investment.
- Manage the company’s A/B testing and end to end measurement platform in partnership with Engineering and PM to optimize site performance
- Developing best practices in voting analytics, which determines Minted’s merchandise assortment
- Evaluate large data sets with sophisticated quantitative analyses and develop advanced models that translate data into actionable insights in order to solve difficult, non-routine problems
- Raises the level of Analytical capability at Minted by hosting learning sessions; mentoring others and creating a culture of data-driven decision-making.
- Deliver insights and strategic recommendations to the CEO and Minted Leadership, and manage a team.
Experience and Skills
- Highly strategic perspective on business, with a strong consumer insights and a strong understanding of e-commerce
- Strong evangelical and influencing skills, understanding of how to make reports accessible and increase adoption and usability of reports and analytics across company
- At least 3-4 years of prior experience in senior role in Analytics for an ecommerce business
- Overseen the successful launch and adoption of a new analytics or reporting system inside an organization
- Prior experience in the Strategy function of a business or in management consulting
- Strong interest in and understanding of technology architecture that supports analytics, with strong expertise in at least one data analytics solution – for example Omniture, Google Analytics, Looker, or MS Analysis Services
- Knowledge of basic SQL, ability to write and read/understand queries. Production-level engineering skills not a requirement.
- Undergraduate degree with a quantitative major including course work in analytics, statistics, or mathematics. Advanced degree a plus.