Wayfair is looking for a talented, smart, driven and entrepreneurial leader to oversee several of our categories. In this general manager role, you will lead Category Management teams responsible for building out catalogue expansion in product classes, negotiating favorable business terms on costs of goods sold with our suppliers, developing alternative sourcing strategies to drive better product economics, and driving results and owning the business/financial analytics for your categories. You will be accountable for the profitable growth of these categories, partnering with your counterparts across Wayfair’s core functions to drive the overall strategic agenda.
You will be a self-starter and creative problem solver with a passion for all things home. You’ll know your competitors inside and out. You’ll be responsible for recruiting, managing, coaching and developing your team. You’ll be dynamic and analytical—as comfortable leading a critical supplier dinner as you are analyzing data trends in your categories. You will be expected to define overarching goals and strategy, articulate and execute tactical plans and monitor and manage by key business metrics. You will focus on process improvement driving efficiency gains and continuous advancement in the broader Category Management organization.
This is a unique general management role for a highly motivated and energetic individual to contribute in a very significant way to an already successful company.
- Drive profitable growth in your categories
- Develop and execute category strategy in concert with buy-in from the senior management
- Collaborate across departments to drive category goals (departments include Inventory Planning, Advertising, Site Merchandising, Supplier Operations, PR, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and suppliers
- Lead a team of Category Managers
- Improve profits through strategic supplier relationship management ensuring we are competitive in the marketplace on pricing/economics
- Execute high volume of negotiations with existing suppliers including everyday pricing, warehouse stock programs, annual incentive programs, advertising programs and promotions
- Conduct regular meetings and calls with suppliers to review the business and advance Wayfair business goals
- Advance catalogue expansion, including identifying selection gaps, prioritizing new line queue and building direct relationships with key suppliers to bring on board
- Develop talent for Category leadership; additionally mentor/develop staff at Wayfair
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes and product scouting as needed
- Leverage technology to enhance business goals / customer experience
- Roughly 15% travel for meeting suppliers at trade shows in cities such as Las Vegas, Chicago, San Francisco, Atlanta, New York
- MBA from top tier school preferred
- 3 to 7 years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting, ecommerce or retail environment
- Interest in large data sets to drive strategic insights
- Versatile performer, capable of adapting as data-led insights evolve
- Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
- Ability to develop and articulate strategy and perform tactically
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
- Prior experience in a high performance, fast-paced industry
- Comfortable in technology-driven business environment
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source making modern design more accessible
- DwellStudio, a design house with a decidedly modern vibe
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.14 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended September 30, 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people.