General Manager - Operations
We are seeking an entrepreneurial leader to run major transformation initiatives for Wayfair. The right candidate will bring a true operational GM mindset that can be deployed in a number of areas driving major success outcomes for Wayfair. This includes end-to-end ownership: strategy, solution and roadmap design, customer experience, implementation management, and value measurement. The ideal GM candidate will have an MBA from a top tier school and experience working in a top tier consulting firm or equivalent. Additionally, the candidate must be highly flexible with the ability to quickly assume new areas of responsibility outside of their core areas as the Wayfair business continues to evolve.
Initiatives requiring GM leadership include:
- Inventory Planning– leading the initiative to manage forecasting and replenishment strategies of Wayfair's multi-warehouse network. Responsibilities include technology/tools development, supplier engagement, S&OP/capacity planning, inventory placement and routing and etc.
- Small Parcel Home Delivery – creating an exceptional and unprecedented asset based delivery and service experience for small parcel goods.
- Transportation – managing billion dollar portfolio of domestic and international carrier relationships, driving negotiations strategy, and leading technology and network innovations to reduce cost and transit time.
- Cross Border Trade– Driving the expansion into new international markets to create new revenue opportunities while eliminating customer friction points on delivery time/cost, visibility, duties/taxes, and customs clearance.
- Special Delivery and Services – Developing new capabilities and service offerings for the company (installation, assembly, white glove) that support new Category business strategies; building out new field organizations on national scale to operationalize new capabilities
- Strategic Cost Management – leading and implementing the vision to create a capital and expense allocation structure and cost optimization program for all strategic initiatives.
- Supplier Integration – create and execute the vision for scaling our data integration solutions with over 7000 suppliers. Directly impact KPI’s like: time to ship, backorder rate, automation and supply chain cost.
- Asia Deconsolidation Strategy: Define the strategy for “virtual” vertical integration into Asia source of supply; develop country specific logistic footprint for cross-vendor Asia deconsolidation opportunity; decide on build or buy implementation strategy and drive the implementation
- Returns: Returns is a $200M P&L with material profit improvement and customer experience opportunities. Act as GM of overall Returns mgmt. process for Wayfair and develop solutions for better reverse logistics process, drive roadmap to increase monetization through better remarketing plan, act as PMO for return rate reduction across the company
- Specialized Sales: Develop overall strategy to leverage specialized sales teams to drive revenue opportunities in key business categories: home improvement, registry concierge, high-ticket classes, renovation, etc. Work with marketing to fine customer engagement funnel and process. Build-out sales field organization
- Customer Service Process Transformation: Develop audacious goals for customer experience on post-order customer issues. Define pain points and NPS improvement opportunities and develop and drive overall NPS transformation roadmap
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Strong project management skills with ability to get things done
- Process-oriented with strong analytical and communication skills
- Very comfortable with implementing new technology
- Ability to think strategically and tactically within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Extremely collaborative and effective in a cross-functional environment
- Consulting experience or operational leadership responsibility preferred.
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution” and how to ‘get it done’ attitude no matter what when time is tight and stakes are high.
- Ability to manage through ambiguity, stress, adversity and conflict to establish focus and deliver against business goals
Profiles that may be especially well-suited for this role:
- 8+ years of post-MBA top-tier consulting for a top-tier firm
- Innovative leader in supply chain or logistics who is looking for an opportunity lead transformation
- 8+ years of top tier professional or financial services (e.g., investment banking / hedge fund) experience combined with very clear experience as an operator who delivers daily results directly with a team
- Experience leading large cross functional teams
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes
Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- DwellStudio, unexpected modern design for everyday life
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.9 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended June 30, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 6,000 people.