Birch Lane is seeking a deeply analytic, passionate, style-engaged, and process-driven leader with a significant track record of success to join our buying team as a Senior Buying Manager. Our ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience in retail merchandising/buying with a strong preference for getting scrappy and driving process improvement in an ever changing start up environment.
This role involves managing, developing and motivating a team to create and execute on the category growth strategy. A successful candidate will excel both in strategy and tactical execution. The Sr Buying Manager will drive strategy around assortment planning, gap analysis and the customer experience and will require strong cross functional relationships and the ability to pivot quickly. The candidate must be a self-starter with an interest in innovating to solve business problems creatively and a willingness to hit the ground running.
Birch Lane is a Wayfair brand offering traditional home furnishings and décor with a strong focus on our relationship with our customer.
- Manage a team of buyers and categories to exceed specific revenue and margin targets
- Create strategic growth plans for team to hit monthly and yearly revenue and profitability growth targets of product classes
- Analyze event and category performance and drive the analytical development of the team
- Drive relationships with cross functional teams to identify and fill assortment opportunities
- Collaborate with Event, Merchandising, and Exclusive Brand teams to maximize sell through and item velocity
- Lead process improvement discussions across the organization
- Attend trade shows and exhibits to source product, conduct buying trips on a regular basis
- Train, develop and mentor associates and buyers in Buying best practices
- Be an industry expert; keep abreast of trends, product ideas, and competition
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years buying, sales, or directly relevant experience.
- Track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources, managing through change and ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience building a business or delivering against aggressive targets & goals in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Recognized effective manager and team motivator with experience managing 2 or more direct reports
- Analytical thinker who looks for (and finds) answers in the data
- Experience in business and data analytics, Excel, SQL
- Articulate, persuasive communicator with strong negotiating skills
- Goal oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter who thrives in a startup atmosphere
- Familiarity with lifestyle brand trends and developments
- Experience in a consumer facing industry
- Process focused, with a tireless focus on quality output
- Willing and available to travel
- Background in retail and ecommerce preferred
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair.com, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source for modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house for fashion-forward modern furnishings
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $2.25 billion in annual sales in 2015 and $747.3 million in net revenues for first quarter 2016. The company employed 4,604 people as of March 31, 2016 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe. The company has previously been named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.