Title of Job: Site Reliability Engineer (Sr/Staff/Principal)
Role Located in: Okta Headquarters (San Francisco, CA)
Reports to: Sr. Manager of Technical Operations
Okta is the foundation for secure connections between people and technology. By harnessing the power of the cloud, Okta allows people to access applications on any device at any time, while still enforcing strong security protections. It integrates directly with an organization’s existing directories and identity systems, as well as 4,000+ applications.
Because Okta runs on an integrated platform, organizations can implement the service quickly at large scale and low total cost.
Thousands of customers, including Adobe, Allergan, Chiquita, LinkedIn, and Western Union, trust Okta to help their organizations work faster, boost revenue, and stay secure.
The Site Reliability Engineer is responsible for developing tools and automation for the administration of our revenue-generating SaaS application. Classic system administration is a part of this job, but the bulk of time will be spent creating new software that will drive our infrastructure. This is a high-impact role in a fast-paced organization that is poised for massive growth and success. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethic of, “If you have to do something more than once, automate it,” and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead efforts in toolsmithing, automation, and configuration management
- Contribute to designs for new infrastructure services and refinements to old
- Research new promising tools and technologies, and ways to more elegantly/ efficiently solve problems
- Create and maintain documentation on installations, tools, and procedures
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some experience as a front-line operator
- Deep experience writing software
- Effective communicator with solid writing skills
- General areas of knowledge:
- Administration of complex custom applications on UNIX/Linux and Enterprise Java platforms
- Administration of large collections (i.e. hundreds) of servers
- Experience with the following specific technologies/products, which you will interact with every day:
- Linux (RPM- or Deb-based distributions)
- Cloud-based Infrastructure-as-a-Service (especially AWS)
- Shell scripting and other interpreted languages (Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Centralized logging infrastructure
- Configuration management tools (BCFG2, Puppet, Chef, or similar
Bonus Knowledge, Skills or Experience:
- Basic Cassandra administration
- Java VM tuning
- Authn/authz services such as Kerberos
- Continuous deployment infrastructure
- Distributed monitoring
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.