Director of Promotions & Exclusive Brands (m/f)
The European Exclusive Brands and Promotions division of Wayfair (NYSE:W) is a key part of our overall European expansion, as our promotional platform and our exclusive brands play a very significant role in consumers’ perception of Wayfair as their destination for online home shopping.
These platforms have been significant contribution to our strategy and success in the US, and the right candidate will bring these programs to life in Europe.
The Director of Promotions and Exclusive Brands will be a key member of the overall European leadership team and will have full responsibility for revenues and topline growth, leading a team of 40+ Buyers, Senior Buying Managers, and Exclusive Brands merchants. The role is particularly well suited for a seasoned professional with a desire for a highly entrepreneurial role which has a high likelihood of success.
The ideal candidate has several years of senior retail experience (in consulting, directly relevant retail roles, or ideally both) and a proven track record in high-profile, high-pace industries such as e-commerce, technology, finance and/or consulting. This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial, focused, and ambitious professional who has a passion for home goods & décor and is interested in joining a high growth opportunity as a business leader. The candidate will report directly to the European Managing Director.
- Set vision, direction and strategy for the Promotional program
- Oversee and optimize the creation process for a high volume of flash sales and seasonal promotions production
- Innovate concepts, evolve target metrics, and shape promotions / flash sales execution
- Create and coordinate all major promotions on site (develop & maintain calendar, create taxonomy, ensure flawless execution, drive rapid learning & iteration)
- Develop frameworks (eg, price ladders, product mix maps), drive implementation, and ensure impact on business
- Implement full range of online analogs to offline retail concepts (eg, planograms, signage & navigation, trade programs, …)
- Partner closely with US counterparts to share best practices, adoption of successful innovations, and drive friendly competition to
- Full responsibility for revenues and topline growth
Exclusive Brands / Private Label:
- Start from scratch exclusive brand program in Europe and grow revenues in private labels; map vendor capabilities, looks, geographies, consumer needs and develop our brand & product grid to address a mass audience
- Work with creative teams to define brand books, distinct visions, and then ensure that assortments are clearly in line with requirements
- Drive price/quality/feature trade-offs with vendors
- Work closely with US counterparts to ensure we maximize productivity of our most important global vendor relationships, share all best practices and create a portfolio of global brands
- Drive supply-chain trade-offs and work with internal teams on operations, fulfillment, logistics to ensure consumer experience is in line with brand promise
- Full responsibility for revenues and topline growth
- Across responsibilities:
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders
- Lead process improvement discussions across the organization
- Lead, train, develop, and mentor a 40+ team
- Maintain industry expertise; keep abreast of trends and new product ideas
- Maintain an extremely high bar and develop a high performance culture
- Take risks and move quickly
Your skills and experience:
- Ability to define a rolling agenda for one or several years based on the company's agenda (e.g., ability to define a complex activity set maximizing the team's contribution to the company's bottom line growth, such as setting vision, direction and strategy for the business. Innovate concepts, evolve target metrics, refine calendar planning, shape event strategy and ensure event quality and exclusive brands offerings are leading edge versus competitors
- Ability to hire, train and retain a team of 50+ employees across seniority levels (from graduates to proven leaders with 10years experience), building a strong followership
- Track record of building a culture of mentorship and meritocracy
- A charming, calm and equally decisive and high energy nature who can vary its intensity with the task, team and situation at hand
- Understanding of the leadership team and the company's situation and an ability to shape her own priorities to maximize her team's contribution given this situation. Ability to communicate all relevant issues to leadership in an open, non-defensive manner
- Low-ego, no-attitude, humble approach to leadership
- Observation-based, non-judgmental communication style
- Ability to synthesize complex issues and express these via clear, answer-first communication
Entrepreneurship & Execution
- Take controlled risks. Move forward. Build something, don't just optimize it.
- Start small, start scrappy: don’t be afraid to fail or do something that isn’t the final answer – develop and launch MVP and create learning opportunities for yourself, your team, and the company
- Know what the finish line looks like: have a clear view of what the end goal looks like and don’t get stuck in small & scrappy, build towards a clear vision of success & scale
- Ability to keep a multitude of balls in the air: Remain calm and on top of an ever changing inflow of projects, issues, initiatives. Remain in the driver seat vs firefighting. Ensure spotless execution across a multitude of projects, shifting between very detailed involvement and high-level steering.
- Go the extra mile - This is a critical leadership role in a very high-growth company. This is an intense role in all respects - accountability, breadth of responsibilities, team size, topline growth, travel - and the commitment needed to succeed mirrors this intensity
- Deadline driven approach to management and execution. We work on a tight timeline and have aggressive plans that require urgency
Sales & Negotiation
- Strong talent and track record for convincing people of all seniority (sales manager to CEO) to collaborate and optimize the respective business terms
Process & Analytics
- Strong and advanced command of defining and executing analyses to drive insights and decisions
- Ability to understand, map and optimize a complex, multi-handover multi-stakeholder process down to the highest degree of detail in very short time
- Ability to implement new processes, achieve adoption, generate feedback, iterate and improve in very fast intervals
Visual Merchandising & Interior Design Affinity
- Eagerness and interest to design interiors. Passion for the furniture industry (production and retail)
- Talent for visual merchandising (from creating a retail storefront display to arranging items in a visually appealing way for different customer groups)
Compensation is highly competitive, with the opportunity to participate in the company's future success via equity awards in line with the large scope of this role.
Why work for us and become a Wayfairian?
We strive to become the #1 online furniture company in Europe, be part of our story!
- Work in an entrepreneurial and performance driven environment with lots of energy, ideas, analytical minds and the passion for design and furniture
- Be part of our ever-growing team in Europe with regular team events and networking opportunities—we want you to connect with your team but also with everyone else
- We are not a start-up anymore, but have kept the spirit of creating and building up a brand we believe in
- Open-plan office with plenty of comfy collaboration areas, meeting rooms and phone booths with 100+ screens and 60+ webcams to have a choice for everything from small informal to big business updates where you need to connect with other teams across Europe and the US.
- We enable you to try new things and test new ideas without the unnecessary bureaucracy
- We support you in your gym membership and office sport events and Yoga classes but also offer regular Health Weeks with massages, workshops and other exciting projects
- Be part of our growth: Wayfair shares the company with you in stock units
- We like to give back and pay your workday with a charity of your choice and work with Habitat for Humanity on a regular basis
- We are one team, but also have lots of individuals groups to join: sports, books, developments, special interest groups
Wayfair (NYSE: W) offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points with a superior customer service and inspiring interior topics. With an unparalleled selection of more than seven million home items from 7,000 suppliers, Wayfair helps people find the perfect product at the right price. Always committed to using technology to create a superior shopping experience, Wayfair developed Wayfair Next which concentrates on 3D visualization technology.
Wayfair generated $3.4 billion in net revenue for full year 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people.