Director of Engineering
Telmate is a leading provider of inmate communications, education and entertainment services with a primary mission to create innovative technologies that lower recidivism by increasing the secured connections between inmates and their friends & family and community.
To create secure technology that empowers inmates to break the cycle of recidivism while protecting and serving facilities and our communities.
A startup culture with a surefooted product.
Enjoy the best of both worlds – a fun, fast-paced work environment with the reliability of a profitable product base. Our established main product gives us the room to focus our innovation on new industry-changing projects.
Don’t just code, invent. With many patented products, including custom hardware solutions, we’re building more than just the next social media clone.
Our teams get to work on many challenging hardware and software projects including: Custom Android kernel, native Android & IOS applications, hardware kiosks and secure video stations, custom android tablets, Web RTC, SIP, Ruby based SaaS applications, multiple physical data centers along with AWS and much more.
The Director of Engineering (DE) is proficient in web application technologies, managing and mentoring others, and is a strong confident communicator. As a DE you will use your development and leadership skills to organize, implement and deploy systems that will help inmates across the country re-insert themselves into society.
Interesting things you’ll do:
- Attract and retain top engineering talent
- Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth
- Represent your team to senior leadership and other groups to build a challenging vision and ensure you have the resources to deliver it
- Provide technical leadership and guide the overall engineering vision
- Drive Engineering execution in line with business Strategy
- Manage and collaborate with 3rd party engineering teams
- Experience solving large-scale engineering challenges
Our ideal candidate has:
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong ability to coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- Hands on management experience building engineering teams and scaling organizations to deliver and maintain complex systems
- Hands on experience managing and developing engineering managers
- An understanding of the value derived from shipping code rapidly to production and learning/iterating on the results
- You love to code (but know that your job no longer involves much coding anymore)
- 8+ years of overall software development experience with 3+ years in service-based software development experience
- 4+ years of software engineering management experience
- Experience in building and managing enterprise software tools
- Solid understanding of the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Experience in web development.
- Experience in Agile Scrum software development
- Excellent communication skills including written and spoken English with high attention to detail
- Experience with project planning.
- Strong communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Previous Director of Engineering experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
- A professional foundation that includes strong objected oriented programming skills (C++. JAVA)
- Experience working in a small (ideally startup) company where every individual’s contribution is key to the company's success.
- Java development experience
- Ability to think creatively
Here’s what we’re offering:
- Catered Meals, Snack Pantry. Each week brings different, yummy catered meals.
- Commuter & Bike Perks. Clipper card program plus a safe place to hang your bike. How very SF.
- Feelin’ Kinda Scrummy? Like post-its? So do we. Agile scrum is the way that we roll.
- Team Outings & Happy Hours. Bowling, zip-lining, fancy dinners, off-site hack-a-thons and more.
- Medical, Dental and Vision care coverage for employees and family members.
Telmate is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.