Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, and his wife, Pam, established Omidyar Network (ON) based on the belief that every person has the potential to make a difference. Since 2004, we have worked with our partners to create opportunities for people to tap that potential, enabling them to improve their lives and make powerful contributions to their communities. As a philanthropic investment firm, we make both private investments and nonprofit grants, identifying likeminded organizations that we support, help scale, and collaborate with to help realize their full potential. In 2015, we made about $130 million in investments and grants to organizations around the world.
Over the past years ON has increasingly focused on its policy and advocacy strategy – advocating for change in government and donor policy and driving sector-level change in its core initiative areas.
We are looking for an Investment Executive with international experience to help drive Omidyar’s Property Rights initiative. The Executive will be responsible for building new and leveraging existing relationships to lead global policy and advocacy opportunities for Property Rights worldwide. This executive will partner with grantees to help achieve sector level change.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Further develop and lead ON’s global PR advocacy activities.
- Work with the Venture Partner and other relevant colleagues to develop policy/advocacy priorities.
- Represent ON engagement at senior level in multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- Identify key solutions and entities that can span public, private, multilateral, and other sectors to set principles and guide efforts to implement state-led solutions.
- Draw connections between private sector innovators in ON’s portfolio and broader policy objectives and policy makers to help inform direction and perspectives.
- Write and/or commission policy papers, case studies, blog posts, and articles on topics related to technology, transparency, and accountability.
- Help to establish the initiative’s brand through thought leadership, writing, convenings/events, and public speaking.
- Policy development
- Identify policy and advocacy opportunities via personal networking and outreach.
- Evaluate policy and advocacy opportunities against fit with strategy.
- Bring policy makers and innovators together to create mutual exposure and inform policy processes.
- Work with the Venture Partner and other relevant colleagues to develop and implement ON’s policy and advocacy strategy in relevant areas.
- Collaborate with other funders to strengthen the sector(s) and encourage coordination among advocates and practitioners to increase impact.
- Collaborate internally to advance ON strategy and mission.
- Represent ON in a manner that is consistent with our mission.
- Perform other responsibilities, as necessary.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- 20+ years of experience in the fields of policy and advocacy required
- Demonstrated advocacy successes in either Property Rights, Agriculture, or Women’s Rights or similar field and track record of policy innovation
- Strong strategic mind set and proven ability to innovate, collaborate and translate strategy into action
- Experience representing sector and institutional interests in international settings
- Established relationships with organizational leaders and experts in the fields of public policy
- Strong familiarity with driving policy change, establishing principles and frameworks, and developing consensus amongst stakeholders across public, private, multilateral, civil society, and other sectors
- Success in developing and maintaining institutional, political, and personal relationships
- Excellent and clear written and oral communication skills required
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team
- MA, MSc, or equivalent required
- Interest in development issues, understanding of and/or interest in land and property rights.
- Ability to travel periodically for program work
- Writing or commissioning/editing experience, as well as fluency with influence mapping and/or political economy analysis, preferred
- Fluency in a second language additional to English preferred but not required