ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay, and his wife, Pam, established Omidyar Network (ON) in 2004 based on the belief that every person has the potential to make a difference. Omidyar Network is a philanthropic investment firm dedicated to harnessing the power of markets to create opportunity for people to improve their lives. The organization invests in and helps scale innovative organizations to catalyze economic and social change. To date, ON has committed more than $1billion to for-profit companies and nonprofit organizations that foster economic advancement and encourage individual participation across multiple initiatives, including financial inclusion, property rights, governance and citizen engagement, emerging technologies, and education, as well as with our impact investing and entrepreneurship teams.
ON makes both private investments and nonprofit grants, identifying like-minded innovators and organizations that we support, help scale, and collaborate with to help realize their full potential. We often assume board roles and seek to partner closely with our investees and grantees to assist them with scaling their businesses. ON’s focus is broad, both topically and geographically, including US, India, Africa, and Latin America. To learn more, visit www.omidyar.com.
ABOUT THE TEAM:
At ON, the Human Capital team works in concert with our initiative teams to:
- provide value to our portfolio organizations and help them succeed in accomplishing goals of scale and impact (e.g. recruiting, talent management, coaching, strategic and business advice); and
- make investments in for profit and non-profit organizations that support the development of leadership and talent markets for key ON initiatives (e.g. African Leadership University, Fuse Corps, RippleWorks, Teach for All).
We are seeking a passionate and entrepreneurial individual to join our human capital team. This person will work across a wide range of projects and issues, with a primary focus on investments, including reviewing prospect business plans, performing desk research, competitive analysis, due diligence, supporting deal execution and administrative tasks of ongoing portfolio management. Other projects could include, but are not limited to evaluation case studies, strategy development, portfolio management and network management. This individual’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Complete market research to better understand emerging innovations, investment strategies and investment opportunities
- Review and analyze business plans, and meet entrepreneurs
- Support due diligence efforts for prospective investments and grants, including market and competitive analysis
- Support deal execution, including building financial models and preparing investment memoranda
- Complete administrative efforts associated with portfolio management, including maintaining internal databases and providing performance write ups
- Research, analysis and written reports for the purposes of learning, evaluation and impact assessment
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Deep passion for Omidyar Network’s mission and approach to social change, with demonstrated interest or experience with social entrepreneurship and/or creating positive social impact
- BS/BA in major field of study
- Current student or recent graduate pursuing a graduate degree in a major field of study with analytic / technical focus (e.g., Business Administration, Finance, Entrepreneurship, Economics, International Relations)
- Strong analytical capabilities, strategic thinking, and project management skills, with a proven ability to quickly master new topics
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Proven ability to identify and deliver on top priorities across multiple, fluid work-streams
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative environment
- An energetic and entrepreneurial spirit, who is eager to find creative solutions to hard problems, roll up their sleeves across all types of tasks, and can thrive with limited day-to-day guidance and ambiguity
- 2+ years work experience, ideally in fields of venture capital, impact investing, consulting, political or advocacy campaigns
- Authorization to work in US
- Position will be based in Redwood City, with occasional domestic or international travel possible
- Ideally full-time (40 hours/week), but part-time possible for the right person.