Common is seeking a talented, friendly graphic design intern to support our Design and Digital Product teams. This person loves to create beautiful user experiences—in print, on walls, and on screen. This person also takes issue with the phrase “user experience”; we design for people, not users. This is a great opportunity for a student looking to do good, multidisciplinary work at a company redefining our expectations for shared living.
Common brings home to life by creating, designing and operating all-inclusive shared homes for those who live life in common. We combine community, convenience, and flexibility to make living with others a joy instead of a chore. Headquartered in New York, Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves in early 2015.
Common partners with real estate owners and developers throughout the US to create community-minded homes. By doing this, we’re addressing the fundamental supply and demand issues that underlie housing in major cities today. Common opened its doors to its first building in Brooklyn in October 2015.
- Design recurring and one-off emails, social ads, and traditional advertising
- Work with our community team to deliver recurring and one-off community assets (events calendars, emails, etc)
- Produce signage and way finding systems at our growing community of homes
- Other design projects like UI design, graphics and illustrations for our blog, and producing other visual assets
- Help shape the future of our small but growing design team
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS
- An online portfolio or PDF
- Strong organizational skills
- An interest in multidisciplinary design work
- Good ears and is a great listener
- A great eye for color
- Proficiency in Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Attention to detail
- Confidence to share work often and ask the right questions
- Interface design experience is a major plus
- An undying love and respect for good typography
- A collection of books they haven’t read but own solely because of the cover design