Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
Metromile is seeking a versatile Staff Accountant to join its rapidly growing team in San Francisco. The Staff Accountant will report to the Senior Accountant and will work closely with other team members around the company. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, controls and systems. You will participate in the various areas of the accounting process including accounts payable, month end close, regulatory filing assistance and reporting.
You must also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams as well as be able to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem solving skills and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Facilitate full cycle accounts payable, including obtaining approval of vendor invoices, coding, entering invoices and processing payments utilizing Concur Invoice, AP automation software
- Process employee expense reports via Expensify
- Monitor corporate credit card accounts and review supporting documents for charges
- Prepare year-end 1099s and distribute to all vendors in a timely manner
- Assist with AP accruals, tracking of fixed & other assets
- Assist with implementing employee expense reporting through Concur
- Perform monthly reconciliations of general ledger accounts in support of a 5 day close cycle
- Prepare workpapers in support of periodic audits
- Assist with the development of solutions and requirements for financial system and procedural enhancements
- Assist with reporting, month end close and special projects as needed
- Associate Degree in Accounting or a related field of study / Bachelor's Degree is preferred
- 2+ years of Accounting experience
- Experience with accounting month-end close process including recording journal entries and ability to reconcile accounts
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication
- Ability and willingness to meet business critical deadlines
- Ability to work efficiently and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Hunger to learn, grow, and improve how Metromile works
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Intacct ERP software
- Experience with Concur Invoice
- Previous experience working at a startup is preferred
What’s In It For You
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous PTO policy
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Your choice of Mac or PC equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.