Accounting & Employee Services Manager
This is a hybrid and partially remote role reporting to the Director of People Operations, with a requirement of 20-40% time in our Oakland, CA office. Time requirements in the office will vary based on seasonality.
As the Accounting and Employee Services Manager, you'll be directly impacting our long-term financial growth while enhancing the employee experience. Although these seem like two different roles, in our remote environment we require a seamless knowledge transfer of employee needs and client-related travel with budgeting and accounts receivable. This role is an exciting space to learn the ins and outs of core processes and build the structures for a unique vision of how accounting functions might be integrated into remote employee needs.
Your role will primarily include conducting standard monthly accounting motions and leading client outreach for payments, and providing reimbursement support for our dispersed team. Beyond transaction management and accounts payable, you'll also own streamlining core remote operational processes, managing equipment shipments, and optimizing travel arrangements to align with team budgets.
Although part of the People Operations team, you’ll collaborate closely with the Revenue Operations team and our Head of Finance & Operations to understand revenue team functions and facilitate AP/AR processes related to new sales, account management, and renewals.
We're on the search for a detail-oriented individual with a knack for numbers and a genuine passion for fostering a positive remote work environment in a mission-driven company. Your proficiency in maintaining accurate financial records combined with your commitment to supporting our team members will be instrumental in driving our company's success. In our fast-paced, relationship-focused, and startup setting, we're eager to onboard someone who can juggle the nuances of finance and employee support with agility and innovation!
What you’ll do
- Manage financial transactions in our accounting software, including accurate account classification and follow up with executive leadership as needed
- Process employee reimbursements and commissions on a monthly basis, in collaboration with the Revenue Operations team
- Process payroll on a semi-monthly basis, including collecting timesheets and monitoring paid and unpaid leaves and time off
- Reconcile financial discrepancies in entries, documents, and reports
- Collaborate with our external accounting consultants and tax professionals to finalize monthly closes and tax preparation
- Assist in preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Manage vendor contracts and service agreements
- Process company payables and handle vendor queries and disputes
- Generate client invoices
- Communicate directly with clients on invoice outreach and payment follow up
- Coordinate with our contracts and Revenue Operations team to finalize payment details and K-12 district accounts receivable contacts
- Track billing details for our base of accounts
Remote Employee Support & Office Management
- Be the primary point of contact for our home office in Oakland, including maintaining a welcoming office environment and coordinating with building management for services and lease terms
- Book travel arrangements and support employees with supplies, ensuring budget alignment and monitoring financial projections for costs of a remote workforce
- Monitor and track employee utilization of remote work allowances and manager appreciation gifts, reporting to department leads on budget status
- Support the employees with technology needs and in sending anniversary or other gifts
- Collaborate with the People Operations team to coordinate employee onboarding and offboarding, with a focus on equipment needs and initial set up allowances
- Support the People Operations team in initiatives as needed, including gathering employee feedback and facilitating programs
What you bring
- A minimum of 2-4 years of professional experience in accounting, bookkeeping, or related field; CPA preferred
- Fluency with Trinet, Quickbooks, Salesforce or similar platforms for accounting, payroll, and client management
- A proven track record of high-touch follow up with vendors and clients, showcasing exceptional customer service that enhances relationships
- Strong attention to detail - you love digging into the details to ensure accuracy and problem solve, especially when it comes to numbers
- Exceptional collaborative skills that come out while working across multiple teams, various levels, and with external clients and vendors to get things done
- Clear communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to both get the detailed information you need and persuade
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment with high standards for quality of work, even when processes and structures are not yet defined
- Ability to juggle complex processes and schedules, and competing demands, with strong alignment to company leadership on top priorities
- Comfortable analyzing data and using data to orient your own priorities and ownership of work towards the highest leverage activities
- Driving ambition to learn and grow! We’re looking for someone that is excited to level up their skills and develop within the role as the company continues to grow
Salary Range: $85k - $105k On Target Earnings
- $85-95k base depending on experience; $10k variable compensation in the form of quarterly bonuses
How to apply
- Fill out the application on our website here
- Please attach a resume and cover letter.
- In your cover letter, please address 1) at least one accomplishment or example of impact you've had in related work and 2) how this role fits within your career goals. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.