LiveCA LLP is one of Canada’s largest online CPA firms serving clients all across Canada . As a fully remote firm, we aim to foster an inclusive and collaborative work environment for both our people and our clients and tools like Slack and Zoom help us stay connected in the digital world. At LiveCA we value the need for a flexible work environment because we know your best work can be done from anywhere and anytime.
We do not have any openings for this role today, but your application will be processed for future openings at LiveCA!
This position is fully remote and we are hiring from any location within Canada.
Why Work for LiveCA?
Growth - We recognize the importance of growth in our personal and professional lives. That’s why each team member is eligible for a continued professional development allowance so you can continue to grow with us.
Work From Home: Our team works completely remote which gives you the choice to work from home, a coffee shop, your favourite vacation spot or anywhere there is Wifi.
Flexibility: You’ll be free to work within your own schedule - wherever, whenever - so long as the work gets done. Most of the team works a traditional 9-5 schedule, but if you need to take some time off for personal errands, just block it off on your calendar.
Wellness: You'll gain access to great health benefits and a health spending account on your first day with LiveCA. Everyone also gets 10 paid days off per year for illnesses or mental health because your physical health and mental health are equally important.
Equipment: We’ll send you all the necessary equipment to get you started which includes a Macbook laptop, monitor, keyboard, mouse and a stipend every paycheck for cell phone/internet bills
Vacation: Everyone starts with 3 weeks off and an additional day off for your birthday
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Manager will be responsible for being a key leader within a Client Services Team (CST) to deliver a client-centric journey while achieving a profitable outcome for LiveCA. The Manager will play an integral role in completing engagement deliverables in addition to providing oversight and support within the CST to ensure project timelines and deliverables are met while creating a great client experience and maintaining a focus towards a sustainable, balanced workload for the team.
THIS JOB IS FOR YOU IF……
Leadership - You lead and inspire others. You want to be a part of the business decisions, you have big picture thinking and you understand the vision of LiveCA.
Leading Edge - You consistently benchmark best practices and expect others to do the same.
Excellence - You set high standards of performance for yourself and others. You have a low tolerance for mediocrity and have a high sense of responsibility.
Initiative - You take action to improve a situation without being asked. You take personal responsibility for correcting problems and follow up with clients to make sure they are receiving the service they expect.
Presence - You effectively foster an environment where people feel supported, heard and respected.
Innovation - You are constantly thinking about new ways to serve clients and support the team with a focus towards sustainability in the client base and a balanced workload for the team.
Pragmatic - You understand clients require varying levels of service and the team requires varying levels of support. You value work-life balance and your first action is always to assess the situation and determine what’s required before carrying out next steps.
Ambitious - You want to grow as a professional and as a person.
TECHNICAL ACCOUNTING, FINANCE AND TAX: developing depth and breadth of technical skill set
- Complete Associate responsibilities for more complex clients as may be directed by the Senior Manager.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT: building the project and relationship management skill set
- Staying current on client deliverables to consistently meet deadlines and client commitments.
- Managing client expectations and adapting expectations or related jobs accordingly as circumstances arise.
- Managing relationships with clients and key stakeholders.
- Optimising and improving processes and the overall approach to work where necessary.
REVIEW AND ADVISORY: becoming a trusted client advisor
- Review work prepared by the team including, but not limited to:
- Year-end compilation engagements, including financial statements and letters
- Management, investor and board reporting, such as consolidated financial statements for corporate groups, budgets, cash flow forecasts and other analyses as required
- Corporate tax returns, including federal and provincial filings for clients operating across multiple jurisdictions
- Federal and provincial sales tax returns
- T4s, T5s and other relevant slips as required
- Outgoing email communications as required (e.g. approve draft emails prepared by the team)
- Collaborate with our tax team on completion of CRA audits, T1s, T5s, and other ad-hoc items as required.
- Confidently lead routine client calls, including year-end, quarter-end, and monthly meetings.
- Develop and present routine tax planning to clients such as tax estimates, remuneration planning, income splitting, and capital dividend planning.
- Effectively oversee year-end assurance engagements and manage key stakeholder relationships such as Board of Directors, investors, and banks.
- Proactively identify the requirement for support from the Senior Manager, our Tax Team, Partner and/or external advisors on matters such as transfer pricing, US sales tax, international tax, SR&ED, growth of a customer’s internal finance team and related future hires, and tax planning opportunities.
- Provide vacation and other short-term leave work coverage for colleagues, including the Senior Manager, as directed by the Firm from time to time.
- Working with dynamic and growing clients, other related duties may be assigned in support of client needs.
PRICING AND SCOPING
- Identify scoping opportunities for additional services such as bookkeeping frequency, payroll services, accounts payable services, investor reporting and new corporate entities.
- Identify pricing opportunities in support of achieving an optimal balance of delivering on the engagement with customers and ensuring a profitable outcome for LiveCA.
- Work alongside the Senior Manager and/or Partner to gain an understanding of customer pricing, which may include attending or, in some cases dependent on experience level, leading a pricing discussion with a customer.
- Identify non-fit customers for transition and replacement with ideal-fit customers.
- Train and mentor employees in their career and skill development at LiveCA, including CPA Mentorship to our CPA students.
- Effectively deliver positive and constructive feedback to the team.
- Identify performance issues within the team requiring support from the Senior Manager, HR Manager and/or Partner. In some cases, and depending on experience level, this may include carrying out the periodic performance reviews of the team.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum 2 years experience in the Senior Associate role at LiveCA with a demonstrated degree of proficiency in the Manager skill set (including the appropriate competencies as listed above) or minimum of 4 years experience in a similar position in a public accounting environment outside of LiveCA.
- Post-secondary diploma required, BComm or equivalent.
- Achievement of a CPA designation required.
- Knowledge of Canadian accounting frameworks (ASPE and IFRS), Canadian tax, and experience with assurance engagements is required.
- Expert knowledge of, or demonstrated ability to quickly become comfortable with, various accounting programs, especially Xero and QuickBooks, is required.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs required.
- Proficient with Google Suite of applications.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task competing priorities.
- You have a passion for excellent client services.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with others towards a common goal.
LiveCA is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout the recruitment, assessment, and selection process. If selected to participate in the process, please inform the Company of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.