Metromile is a start-up that is disrupting the $185 billion car insurance market by offering an entirely new model where the monthly bill is based on miles driven, paired with a smart driving app. Our product marries engineering and data science to deliver mobile technology, automotive telematics, and data-driven applications to make a car's data accessible and useful to modern drivers, including street sweeping alerts, trip stats, decoded check-engine lights, and car location. We aim to make car ownership as simple and affordable as it can be.
You could think of us as the David to the auto insurance industry's Goliath. Buckle up and get ready to drive with Metromile.
About the ADP Payroll Accountant Role
Metromile is seeking a versatile Staff Accountant to join its rapidly growing team in San Francisco. The Staff Accountant will report to the Accounting Manager and will work closely with other team members around the company. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, controls and systems. You will participate in the areas of payroll, accounts payable, month end close and reporting.
You must also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams as well as be able to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem solving skills and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Handle the processing of semi-monthly payroll transactions in a timely manner through ADP Workforce Now
- Answer employee inquiries about payroll
- Maintain payroll records and files
- Facilitate full cycle accounts payable, including obtaining approval of vendor invoices, coding, entering invoices and processing payments.
- Process employee expense reports
- Monitor corporate credit card accounts and review supporting documents for charges
- Prepare year-end 1099s and distribute to all vendors in a timely manner
- Assist with AP accruals, tracking of fixed & other assets
- Perform monthly reconciliations of general ledger accounts in support of a 5 day close cycle
- Prepare workpapers in support of periodic audits
- Assist with the development of solutions and requirements for financial system and procedural enhancements
- Assist with reporting, month end close and special projects as needed
- Associate Degree in Accounting or a related field of study / Bachelor's Degree is preferred
- 2+ years of experience in Payroll and / or Accounting experience
- Understanding of payroll concepts and the need to safeguard confidential information
- Experience with accounting month-end close process including recording journal entries and ability to reconcile accounts
- Experience with Intacct ERP software and ADP Workforce Now
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Ability to work efficiently and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Hunger to learn, grow, and improve how Metromile works
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication
- Previous experience working at a startup is preferred
- Ability and willingness to meet business critical deadlines
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Benefits (health, dental, vision)
- Transportation and gym benefits
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- In office happy hours
- Monthly social events (Trivia nights, skeeball, ropes course, etc)
- Mac equipment and ergonomic work station, customized to your specs