At Rural Farmers Hub, our vision is to create innovation and access to every farmer in Africa. We accomplish this by developing and distributing precision management solutions for crop health & soil quality that benefits small farmers, plantations, and out-growers.
We work with reputable organisations in Nigeria like GIZ, Mercy Corps, Save the Children, IFDC, Sasakawa SG2000, World Bank, Launch Academy, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), Shell Foundation, Airbus BizLab, among others. We are positively prospecting to include brands like Olam, Dantata Foods, and others to the list.
Rural Farmers Hub is looking for an Agricultural Scientist to join the Software/Tech Team, working closely with Geo-Informatics Engineer(s), Machine Learning Engineer(s), and the Chief Technology Officer to drive product development and refinement in Nigeria and in multiple geographies. S/he will play a vital role in researching and developing ways to improve the efficiency and accuracy of our precision advisory services and other products for agricultural enterprises (farmers) and other agribusiness, which are all important to attract and retain them for sustainable growth of the company. S/he will lead the development of solutions that users love. If you are that person, we have reserved a seat for you.
- Study the effects of different farming techniques, associated pests, diseases and environmental conditions that may affect crop production. Use the collected data/insights to develop more efficient techniques for solving agricultural problems
- Study crops (and/or farm animals) and factors affecting farm production; improve the efficiency and sustainability of farms and related agricultural enterprises of customers
- Conduct research and experiments to improve the productivity and sustainability of field crops using proprietary digital tools
- Create new digital and non-digital products and services for agriculture and develop new and/or better ways to process, package, and deliver them
- Study the composition of soil as it relates to plant growth, and research ways to predict its variability, as well as ways to improve it. Study how alternative soil treatments affect crop productivity
- Communicate the company’s research findings to the agricultural and other sciences community, food producers, and the public
- Travel between facilities to oversee the implementation of agricultural projects
- Work in offices, laboratories, and in the field
- Develop methods of conserving and managing soil that farmers, other stakeholders, and companies can use
- Work to ensure environmental quality and effective land use
- Preparing and presenting technical papers/reports to the Board on research findings, farmer performance, risk and all other related matters relevant to the company
- Analysis of agricultural data, and incorporating data analytics in product development, reporting, and supporting decision making
- Scientific capacity building of relevant teams & culture functions
- Ensuring 100% compliance with various related requirements (such as farm inputs, others)
- Crafting & executing business continuity plans
- Managing internal operations that support multiple functions
- At least a Bachelor's degree in agricultural science or a related field
- A diploma in agricultural science from an accredited post-secondary institution, or advanced degrees is welcome.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in research and/or work in agriculture, experience in scientific research is a plus.
- Experience working in agribusiness or academic research group(s).
- Hands-on approach & problem-solving abilities is critical.
- Experience with scientific research tools, equipment, software and other related tools; experience with research data analysis and visualisation tools.
- Experience with scientific paper publishing and reporting.
- Crop and soil sciences know-how with ability to dive into the details.
- Passion for technology with high propensity to learn quickly.
- Strong relationship skills & ability to work with people at all levels within an organisation.
- Strong teamwork & cross collaboration capabilities.
- Speak and write clearly so others can understand.
- Read and understand work-related materials.
- Listen to others and ask questions (an open and curious mind).
- Starting salary is between N960,000 to N2,000,000 per annum, inclusive of pension and other statutory contributions.
- You will have the opportunity to partner with the founder to build & influence the experience of the company’s customers.
- You will have the opportunity to work with the founder(s) to build & influence the experience of the company’s customers.
- You will participate in the company’s shareholding through an employee share option program (ESOP).
- You will have the opportunity to work in an exciting startup environment that is scaling into a global company, with your involvement at the forefront of that global scaling efforts.
- Ability to grow within the Nigerian market as well into other geographies.
- We foster a fun & interpersonal environment, in our high-pressure environment.
- We value & support each other as a team to ensure each team member realises their full potential & ultimately deliver quality as a team for all of our stakeholders.
- We welcome a diverse range of opinions, partners & doers in the journey.
- We ensure that feedback flows consistently & we continuously improve ourselves in all we do.
- We have a strong bias towards action.
- We collaborate with teams from different parts of the world which exposes you to different ways of working
- We give a high level of independence to enable you to foster & grow as an individual.
- We are also incorporating new ways of working that are enhanced by technology
Working on a Founders Factory venture provides a rare opportunity for you to team up with world-class thinkers, entrepreneurs, and creators in building and launching a successful healthtech startup. This role offers the freedom and excitement of working in a nippy early-stage startup coupled with a large organisation's financial stability and resource access.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to lead a game-changing startup with global growth aspirations and to help shape the future of Africa's startup ecosystem.