With over 204 million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it’s an exciting time to work at Netflix.
By serving as a platform for original storytelling, we’re fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows and seek to create joy for our members around the world. This guiding principle has informed our commitment to animation, a universal language, and the establishment of Netflix Animation Studios where creative visionaries can perform their best work.
This is the new wave of animation — and you can help shape it. Our goal is to tell stories that no one has seen but that everyone will remember.
We are seeking an Art Director for Pearl, a CG heartfelt adventure comedy series. Pearl comes from the mind of Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex and centers on the adventures of a 12-year-old girl who finds inspiration in a variety of influential women throughout history.
The Art Director will help to develop, create, and support the aesthetic vision of our Executive Producer Team. They will be the source of clear communication to the art team, ensuring everyone is following patterns, keeping consistency, giving clear verbal and visual instructions to the next person in line and to our partnering studio. The Art Director will identify and confirm we have created all our assets appropriately for a smooth hand-off. Working with Production Management, they will work to tie any loose ends and keep the art train on the tracks.
An accomplished artist themselves, the Art Director must convey direction and visual communication through applied artistic skills. They will work with the CG Supervisor to develop the CG Pipeline - design through the outsource studio design instructions - sharing responsibility to define scope boundaries and generate clever solutions to work within them.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and communicate the style guide and theory; spanning visual development, character design, environment design and props/fx
- Partner with production leadership and technical teams to understand and clarify creative direction and scope, timelines, tools, and budget
- Works closely with production to create asset breakdown lists for assignments
- Prepare for and lead design handouts by communicating overall direction, design requirements, and expected level of polish to the design team
- Supervise a team of artists in-house and/or around the globe
- Troubleshoot and review potential changes on a regular basis with creatives and production staff
- Jump in to create assets along with the team — we want to see your skills in action too!
- Work with CG Supervisor and Production Manager to ensure art packeting is complete, communicating the visual instructions fully, before sending to partnering studio.
- Provide notes and mentorship to creative teams and partners, incorporating hands-on drawing, reference, and tools to enable these teams to do their best work
- Assess portfolios and demo reels and take part in interviews for building design team
- Collaborate with grace, humility, inclusion, and open-mindedness
What You’ll Need:
- 3-5 years of CG animation production experience
- Expert working knowledge of digital drawing tools such as Photoshop a must
- Considerable knowledge of color theory, lighting, staging, and perspective
- Proven leadership on animated shorts, series, or features
- Excellent communication skills
- Samples and/or credits demonstrating excellence in roles such as visual development, background paint, color design, or character design