- 2+ years' work experience
- Python experience, demonstrated in a work environment
- Sys Admin experience (nice to have), with experience of maintaining servers in the cloud
- Experience of working with (and updating) legacy systems (Python 2 to 3 migration experience is a nice to have)
- Able to work Eastern US hours (EST)
- Excellent communication skills and command of the English language.
About the role
Our ambition is to help galleries harness the power of Artlogic through a beautiful mobile app, allowing them to have powerful sales tools at their fingertips at an art fair, at the gallery and when they are on the move.
As a Software Engineer on the Infrastructure team you will be contributing to developing our serving infrastructure and the code and applications that connect our products with each other and external services to help maintain a high-quality service for a large and rapidly growing number of international clients as part of the Artlogic Infrastructure team.
You will develop a deep understanding of the application and the underlying infrastructure, its use cases and client needs in order to help implement and in due time design technical solutions to realise the vision behind it. You will work closely with the Engineering and Design teams to implement features in line with the requirements.
Key areas of responsibility
Write and maintain high quality code that connects our individual products with each other and external systems with reliability, maintainability and security in mind.
Help continuously modernise our code and applications to support the most modern, scalable and economical infrastructure.
Support other developers with coming up with solutions to complex problems, help optimise performance and interoperability with the underlying infrastructure in mind.
Serving Infrastructure Development and Maintenance
- Help maintain and develop the Artlogic serving infrastructure in Google Cloud and AWS to keep it current, secure and economical.
Engage in an out-of-hours rota together with your colleagues from the infrastructure team. Remuneration for out-of-hours work and stand-by duty will be available. You will be expected to be on stand-by roughly once every four weeks.
Watch out for and follow up notifications about potential incidents on the infrastructure, resolving urgent issues yourself when you can and flagging with your colleagues when you can't.
Collaboration with colleagues
Actively collaborate with your colleagues both on the infrastructure team and outside, actively take part in weekly infrastructure team meetings.
Take part in rota for so-called infrastructure triage during working hours to check for issues reported by the rest of the team to help make sure that they are dealt with in a timely manner.
Maintain a high-level familiarity with our products and have an understanding of our goals as a business
Development and delivery of code of the very highest standard, fully tested and debugged.
Understanding wider issues of page load speed, bandwidth, server load (plan for success), code legibility, reusability.
Forward planning, self-organisation and feeding back before concerns become problems, seeking counsel about the best way of doing something before you start.
Juggling tasks in a way that shows you can prioritise effectively.
Fast response to requests for assistance from colleagues and clients.
Establishing warm and effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
Using good judgement in what and how to communicate with clients, when to
articulate ideas to colleagues, when to ask for help.
Active participation in the weekly Artlogic Infrastructure team meetings and the
out-of-hours rota, resolving or otherwise following up issues promptly if and when they
Competent use of the standardised principles of git for version control; branches for
specific and singular purposes, regular and well-named commits, awareness of how to
keep code up-to-date and resolve and understand merge conflicts.
Active participation in the systems and processes that the Artlogic Infrastructure team
uses for project management, discussion and documentation; team meetings, Slack
channels, Monday.com, Artlogic’s StackOverflow and Artlogic Docs site.
- Willingness to accept responsibility for larger-scale projects or core system development.
- Ability to imagine and plan solutions that would work in the widest, most reusable, most elegant, most economical, most resilient and high-performance way. This could involve thinking out functions and applications in a variety of situations that our clients might need.
- Initiative and responsibility to seek to ‘own’ tasks, processes, systems that need work.
- You may have the opportunity to demonstrate design, project management, training or organisational skills as the need arises and depending on your abilities.
We are on a mission to transform the art world. As the leading art platform, we empower thousands of galleries, artists and collectors to run and grow their businesses with a suite of inventory, marketing, CRM and website tools. As a mission-driven company, we know it takes a great team to build the future, and we are committed to providing the best structure, resources and quick thinking to help achieve our collective goal. Exciting times lie ahead as we expand into new regions, build new products and create the next generation of tools to help the art world move online—join us!