Duty Stations: Antakya
Reporting to: Financial controller
General Description of the Role:
Reporting to the GOAL Syria Financial Controller (FC), the main purpose of this position is to manage and account for day to day cash inflows and outflows, ensuring proper systems and procedures are being followed. The role is also responsible for the timely preparation the monthly financial reporting to GOAL HQ in Ireland.
Cash and Bank Operations:
- Oversee Maintenance all the bank and cashbooks and their reconciliations on a timely basis;
- Oversee petty cash maintenance and bank register maintenance, ensuring all expenses are reasonable and appropriately authorised and recorded;
- Work with the Senior Finance Officer to provide in-country Syria finance assistance, including monitoring of money trader FX process and support as required.
- Monitor floats outstanding and ensuring they are cleared on a regular basis;
- Ensure all purchases have been made following GOAL purchasing procedures and have all relevant supporting documentation attached to payment requisition;
- Review & reconcile physical cash to the cash book on a weekly basis prepared by Finance officer.
- Follow up with Field Finance Officers/office manager Syria to ensure that cash books and supporting documents at month end are submitted on a timely basis;
- Prepare weekly cash report & submit to the Financial Controller (FC) for review;
- Review of cheque register and reconciliation of bank book to bank statement monthly;
- Collate monthly funds requests from field sites, including liaising with FC to ensure sufficient funds are on hand;
- Liaise with HR/ admin and Syria office manager to prepare, reconcile and distribute monthly payroll;
- Ensure payroll remittances are made each month on a timely basis;
- Setup and maintain Finance account coding on SAGE accounting system and ensure all excel bank and cashbooks have the up to date coding.
Month-end, Statutory and Annual Reporting:
- Manage the preparation of the month-end accounts, for GOAL Syria including preparation of monthly support schedules and month-end accounts, such as cashbook upload and journal import into Sage system;
- Review month-end accounts with the GOAL Syria Financial Controller
- Respond to month-end accounts queries from HQ Dublin in a timely manner
- Work with the Financial Controller to ensure compliance with local finance reporting requirements
- Co-ordinate and consolidate the preparation and management the overall core cost and equipment budgets for GOAL Syria
- Ensure annual audit file is kept complete and up to date;
- Preparation of documentation to facilitate donor, internal and external audits
- Lead finance facilitation for any internal / external audits;
- Ensure all staff receive basic Finance induction on GOAL Finance policies and procedures and support Financial Controller in Finance inductions for staff of co-ordinator level and above
- Keep the FC updated on your work progress throughout the month, and bring all major finance issues to his or her attention;
- Liaise with AFC Donors and AFC Partners in relation to crossover activities
- Provide support to the GOAL Syria FC when required
- Provide coaching and capacity building to staff members as appropriate
- Any other task assigned by the GOAL Syria FC
- Finance qualification, preferably with a professional accountancy qualification in progress or completed;
- At least 4 years’ experience in accountancy;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent management skills with the ability to quickly re-priorities activities to meet the demands of the programme in a rapidly changing context;
- Excellent Microsoft excel experience, and knowledge of Sage or other accountancy packages;
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required; Turkish or Arabic desirable
- Friendly, professional manner, with the ability to manage and work with staff at all levels.
Applications will be reviewed and considered upon receipt.