We are seeking a deeply analytic, passionate, and process-driven leader with a proven track record of success to join our rapidly growing buying team as an Associate Director of Buying.
This is a role for a left-brain / right-brain leader, balancing the need for deep experience in marketing & merchandising analytics with a comfort in leading a merchant team with an eye on style. A focus on our customer and connecting our promotional offering to customer style and product preferences is a must. The Associate Director will lead a substantial portion of the Birch Lane P&L, directly overseeing multiple teams, developing new supplier relationships, negotiating vendor terms including pricing, inventory and promotional strategies, and helping to drive to long-term merchandising and brand positioning decisions alongside the VP and General Manager. Other responsibilities will include setting supplier and product class growth plans, driving to these goals with each respective category team, liaising with the calendar team to execute against our events and promotional strategy, and interfacing with all cross functional teams to drive value for their business.
We’ve grown from a scrappy start-up leaning heavily on retail buying experience to a structure that requires and cultivates the skills developed in professional services, investment banking, and brand management. Our team members come from a cross-section of traditional retail merchandising, but what unifies them is a data driven approach to the business, the motivation of a dynamic team environment, the ability to measure success and progress based on daily results, and the satisfaction of being highly developmental managers.
This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial, focused, and ambitious professional who has a passion for home goods & décor and is interested in joining a high growth opportunity as a business leader.
- Oversee a team of Buying Managers and their direct teams to exceed revenue and margin targets, drive other goals as set by the General Manager and VP.
- Create and manage to strategic supplier account plans; expand upon existing supplier relationships
- Manage product selection for BirchLane.com, driven by gap analyses, competitive research, and category goals
- Lead negotiations with buying terms engaged with suppliers (selection, price, quantity, and delivery terms)
- Analyze event, supplier, product class and category performance and drive the analytical development of the team
- Lead process improvement discussions across the organization
- Attend trade shows and exhibits to source product, conduct buying trips on a regular basis
- Maintain industry expertise; keep abreast of competition, trends and new product ideas
- Innovate concepts, evolve target metrics, refine calendar planning, shape event strategy and ensure event quality is leading edge versus competitors
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders in Assortment Planning, Brand, Merchandising, Category Management, Operations, Marketing, and Product to deliver integrated customer strategy and drive category growth.
- Act as a strong leader and thought partner within the Wayfair organization, leading broader organizational initiatives.
- 7-10 years of business leadership experience in data driven, results oriented roles (retail merchandising/buying experience a plus)
- Team Building: Demonstrated experience building a team and delivering against aggressive targets and goals in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Results Driven-Manager: Recognized effective manager and team motivator with experience managing a team of direct reports, including managers
- Analytical thinker who looks for (and finds) answers in the data
- Perseverance: Track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles, managing through change and ambiguity
- Best in class negotiator: Articulate, persuasive communicator with strong negotiating skills
- Savvy: Quick thinking and comfortable in a dynamic, fast-moving environment
- Business Owner: Highly goal oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter with multiple examples of success and direct “wins”
- Ability to work creatively and pull together visual merchandising plans and assortments
- Strong interest in home décor, home furnishings, and/or other home products
- Process oriented, with a tireless focus on quality of output and throughput
- Willing and available to travel
- Familiarity with retail/merchandising concepts (visual merchandising, assortment planning, price ladders)
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source making modern design more accessible
- DwellStudio, a design house with a decidedly modern vibe
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.14 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended September 30, 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people.