Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We are looking for an exceptional individual to lead our engagement with regulatory bodies in Europe and other key international markets as we continue to expand globally.
The role will be based in the UK and report directly to our Director, Associate General Counsel, International. Working closely with our regional management teams in Europe, Singapore, and Japan, as well business stakeholders and colleagues in Legal and Compliance globally (including the US), you will play a key role in managing and developing our relationships with our key regulators outside the United States of America. You will also establish and manage a scalable process for constructive regulatory engagement as our International business continues to grow and our regulatory touchpoints increase.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Establishing and managing a framework to drive constructive, consistent and efficient regulatory engagement across our International markets
- Working closely with business executives, the legal team and other policy leads globally to develop advocacy positions on key regulatory and policy issues relating to the crypto ecosystem
- Managing our ongoing relationships with our international regulators (working closely with the regional management teams of our regulated entities), including participation in calls/meetings and preparation of meeting decks etc.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory and policy developments involving crypto-assets in the UK, Europe and other key international jurisdictions
- Taking a lead on building relationships with new regulators as our international business continues to scale and expand
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Qualified solicitor in England and Wales (or the equivalent in a European jurisdiction) or a Compliance professional with approximately 8-10 years experience working in a regulated e-money / payment services or financial services institution (e.g. e-money issuer, payment service firm, broker dealer / asset manager) or in a law firm supporting such clients (ideally with some previous in-house experience)
- Strong familiarity with PSD2, 2EMD and/or MiFID II and broader financial services regulation is required
- Experience dealing with regulators such the Financial Conduct Authority, Prudential Regulation Authority and/or other key European regulators at a senior or policy level
- Ability to manage complex projects involving coordination across multiple time zones, challenging regulatory issues and tight deadlines
- Ability to work closely with other areas of the business (including business executives) to gather required information and inputs
- Ability to distill complex topics into clear and concise language, both in writing and orally
- Ability to manage a large and varied workload and exercise excellent judgment, analytical rigour and commercial pragmatism
- Enthusiasm for and a basic understanding of crypto-assets/blockchain
- Highly driven and proactive - keen to create process and structure and strive for continuous improvement
- Comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, growth-stage environment, subject to regulatory scrutiny, operating excellence and Coinbase’s demanding standards to operate the world’s most trusted crypto business