At Carvana, we sell cars but we aren’t car salesmen. Our promise is simple: we won’t sell a car to a customer that we wouldn’t sell to our own Mom. Period. To make sure our cars are in first-rate condition, we’ve built multiple vehicle Reconditioning Centers around the country, where our cars are inspected, perfected, and photographed before reaching the Carvana website. Using our Carvana Certified 150-point inspection process, we’re able to verify that every vehicle meets our rigorous mechanical and cosmetic standards.
We strive to provide only the highest quality vehicles to our customers in our mission to deliver a no-hassle, better car buying experience. We are actively looking for passionate and talented individuals who can help us deliver on that promise.
Think you’ve got what it takes to join our team? Keep reading below to see what we’re looking for!
About the team and position
As an Automotive Repair Technician you will have the opportunity to work at one of our Inspection Centers that help recondition the vehicles we sell to our customers. This role will be responsible for ensuring our vehicles have been properly reconditioned and meet Carvana’s vehicle quality standards. As a Technician II, you will be asked to leverage your expertise to perform general automotive repairs and run diagnostics on our vehicles. The qualifying candidate must love helping people and possess the drive to achieve superior customer satisfaction. They must be goal-oriented, enthusiastic, energetic, self-motivated, with the ability to interact and communicate with all levels of the organization.
The Automotive Repair Technician will report to the Line Lead, Build, and will be an hourly full-time position. No travel is required.
What you’ll be doing
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform general automotive repairs such as radiators, timing belts, alignments, and suspension systems.
- Use wiring diagrams to complete electrical wiring.
- Complete drivability repair for wheel bearings, alignment issues, and axles.
- Carry out vehicle climate control repair and replacement for ACs and heater cores.
- Maintain and coordinate the completion of ancillary goods or services for vehicles as needed.
- Input vehicle data into computer systems and Carvana technology applications to ensure vehicle information is up to date.
- Follow proper operating rules, procedures, and standardized work initiatives as assigned.
- Work on a variety of vehicle tasks for an extended period of time.
- Report any safety issues immediately to management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working hours are Monday - Friday 6:00am to 3:00pm.
Hours of operation are subject to change based on business needs. You may also be required to work overtime to support those business needs and will be given as much advance notice as possible.
What you should know
This position requires a minimum of 3-5 years of Automotive Technician experience and requires someone with a high-level understanding of vehicle repair while having an interest in continuing a career as a Technician in the automotive industry. Requirements include:
- Minimum 3+ years of Automotive Technician experience performing general and basic automotive repairs including but not limited to extensive brake repair, fluid flushes, extensive tire repair, radiators, timing belts, wheel bearings, axles, alignment issues, and vehicle climate control repair
- Experience using vehicle diagnosis equipment for mechanical issues
- Experience with Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)
- Experience with electrical wiring and diagrams
- A positive, can-do attitude with a desire to work in a team setting
- Ability to physically operate vehicle equipment and tools
- A quality first mentality that takes pride in upholding Carvana’s vehicle quality standards
- Strong, consistent attention to detail
- Advanced level understanding of vehicle mechanical repair
- Proficient computer skills with data entry and navigating computer applications
- Ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, understand, and follow procedures and guidelines
- Ability to review, analyze, identify problems, and make decisions
- An ability to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing production environment while sometimes being exposed to excessive weather conditions (heat/cold)
- Strong communication skills to engage with all departments at the Inspection Center
It would be great if you also had
- ASE Certifications
- Experience in Engine Performance Maintenance or Engine Repair
- Experience working in a high-end automotive facility or dealership
- Experience working in a lean manufacturing environment
- Experience working for a fast-paced hyper-growth company
What we’ll offer in return
- Competitive hourly wages (NO FLAT RATE)
- On the job training
- 100% company-paid healthcare premiums for employees
- Excellent schedules that allow for work/life balance
- 401k with company match
- ASE and Tool Reimbursement Programs
- Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment
- Vehicle Discount
- A company culture of growth, with a start-up atmosphere, allowing for varied and rapid career development
- A leadership team that listens and is geared toward teammate engagement
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a valid driver's license
- A clean driving record with no more than two moving violations or DUI’s in the last three years
- Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
- This job position is designated as a safety-sensitive position
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds independently; majority of lifting from knee to shoulder heights; other lifting required from various levels
- Must be able to carry and transport up to 60 pounds up to 20 feet
- Requires standing for an extended period of time with frequent stretching, reaching, walking and stooping, pushing and/or pulling in an environment that may be cold, hot, noisy, and wet and may have fumes or odors due to vehicle maintenance
- Requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity
- Requires use of safety equipment that may include but not limited to face shield or goggles, non-slip shoes, gloves, masks, and other protective garments and equipment
- Requires frequent driving and computer data entry
- Must adhere to regular and predictable attendance
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check and drug screening.
Carvana is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.