We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
This position is full-time employment with our contingent workforce partner.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Would you like to work with ground-breaking technology? Are you as comfortable behind the wheel as you are with a computer?
As an Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Test Operator, you will help us test and improve the performance of our driverless cars. You will tackle hard problems that have immediate and valuable real-world applications. You should have strong attention to detail, basic technical skills, and an excellent driving record. Integrity, good judgment, and the ability to work in a team environment are required at all times. You will be expected to keep certain project details confidential.
Day-to-Day Responsibilities Include:
- Work in teams, alternating (i) driving (some manual driving but primarily monitoring the vehicle's behavior in autonomous mode) and (ii) software monitoring and logging responsibilities and providing verbal feedback/directions about the autonomous vehicle’s (AV) environment.
- Complete timely and detailed ride reports for our operations and engineering teams
- Participate in the ongoing training of new AV Test Operators
- Test other aspects of our autonomous vehicles
- Perform ad hoc projects as needed, including delivery and other community support and/or pilots
You Must Have the Ability to:
- Prioritize safety and maintain a safety-first mindset, while following all safe work practices and policies
Satisfy the legal requirements to become an AV Test Operator (13 CCR § 227.34), including being licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active California Basic Class C driver's license or license encompassing Class C vehicles, and no more than one point on driving record
- Successfully complete a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check
- Drive and/or ride as notetaker in the AV for up to eight hours/day
- Accurately type and read on a laptop in a moving vehicle
- Ability to give and receive clear, prompt, and understandable verbal and written communications
- Safely operate the AV in accordance with Cruise safety protocols and applicable law. This includes, but is not limited to, having a sufficient range of motion to frequently turn a steering wheel, operate the accelerator and brake, check blind spots and evaluate the environment, and maintaining appropriate air bag clearance.
- Tolerate occasional abrupt starts, stops, turns, and maneuvers associated with driving or taking control of the AV in both training and daily job functions
- Regularly perform physical work including, but not limited to, stooping, lifting, and moving up to 30 pounds, and walking up and down flights of stairs
- Ability to remain alert and extremely focused for two-hour uninterrupted blocks of time
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, including interacting with the public
- High attention to detail
- 40 hours/week, eight-hour shifts, and two consecutive days off (subject to operational needs). Multiple shift times/off days are available.
- You may be required to work nights and/or weekends
This position is full-time employment with our contingent workforce partner, paying $23/hour and offering benefits, 401(k), and paid time off.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
We’re Remote Friendly
- We believe that your value to the team can be provided at a Cruise office or from the comfort of your home. Depending on your function, enjoy the flexibility of remote work and join our growing community of remote employees in the continental United States.
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, SoftBank, & T. Rowe Price, have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.