The Technical Support Representative is responsible for handling inquiries via phone and electronically, processing orders and/or claims accurately, promptly and efficiently, as well as resolving issues; all by following defined procedures, using analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as exercising some independent judgment. The representative will work with all departments of the Company to ensure the customer is satisfied to the best of Makita’s ability. This requires a combination of empathy and firmness, a thorough understanding of the business, and a style of communicating that reflects objectivity and professionalism.
Essential Job Duties
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty to satisfactory standards. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for answering 50-90 customer calls related to the Power Tool Industry per day in a timely manner while ensuring superior customer service is delivered at all times to all customers both external and internal.
- Handles inquiries received by phone and electronically, including but not limited to quotes, order status, ETA’s, claim status, repair status, return requests, billing/shipping errors, etc. May be assigned customers requiring more detailed or special attention.
- Responsible for processing customers’ orders submitted via phone, EDI, B2B, email and fax, including but not limited to verifying customer account number, pricing, ship from location, product availability, etc.
- Responsible for processing claims.
- Responsible for processing credit card payments.
- Works on complaints concerning billing or service rendered, referring complaints of service failures to designated departments for investigation.
- Enters alphabetic, numeric, or symbolic data from source documents into computer following format displayed on screen, and enters necessary codes. Strong emphasis on data entry with related computer responsibilities while maintaining telephone support as needed.
- Must engage in troubleshooting Power Tools (Cordless Battery Operated and Corded Electric) Outdoor Power Equipment- String Trimmers, Chainsaws (Cordless, Corded Electric and Gas), Generators, Hedgers, etc.
- Handles order distribution when assigned, including managing the general inbox by responding to inquiries and forwarding inquiries in a timely manner.
- This role will expose key individuals to most business principles (Accounting/ Credit Risk, Supply Chain, Customer Relations Management- CRM, Product Improvement, Sales, and Marketing).
- Position will also require the individual to work on special projects with the Customer Service Management team and other departments, such as Marketing, Accounting and Sales.
- Will be trained to create/review various reports in order to improve the management of accounts for our customers both internal and external.
- This position also requires the tech support representative to execute a great deal of follow up with the customers and sales reps.
- Meets all expected minimum KPI requirements set forth for the department (orders, tasks, special projects, etc.), including but not limited to Upsells as assigned.
- Confers with production, sales, shipping, warehouse, or common carrier personnel to expedite or trace missing or delayed shipments.
- Proactively accepts additional duties and/or responsibilities as directed by management.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- A positive attitude, a friendly personality and a passion for working with people.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Must be diplomatic, patient, and a good listener.
- Must have a keen eye for detail, a commitment to accuracy and possess exceptional organizational skills.
- Must be able to multi-task and have analytical and strong problem solving skills, coupled with the ability to think on your feet.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, supervisors, sales reps, and customer service reps.
- Completes projects on time.
- The ability to work in high-pressure situations in a deadline-driven environment
- Professional office and email etiquette.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish).
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This position works in an open office setting that is quiet, fast paced, fosters continuous learning while operating under high demand/volume. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
No travel is expected for this position.
Education and/or Experience Desired
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- A College degree or 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Customer Service and/or Call Center experience is a must.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office applications is a must (Excel, Outlook, Word, etc.).
- Experience working in a high volume, fast-paced department preferred.
- Experience with CRM systems, B2B, E-Commerce, EDI preferred.
- Work experience in the power tool industry preferred.
- Prior experience in Tool Repair or Rental Repair is a plus.
- Experience with up-sales is a plus.
- Experience with JDA and/or other customer planning systems a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires you to work at a computer for 8 hours a day while answering calls, responding to emails, compiling reports, etc.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- May be required to occasionally lift, push or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Continuously reach out to sort miscellaneous items.
- Physically & mentally able to work in an environment that may be subjected to strict deadline and multiple projects.
- May be subject to overtime as required.
This description is based on management's assessment of the requirements and functions of the job as of the date this description was prepared. It is a general guideline for managers and employees, but it does not intend to be an exhaustive list of all of the elements of the job. Management reserves the right to modify the description at any time, or to vary the duties and responsibilities of the job on a temporary or indefinite basis to meet production, scheduling or staffing needs.
Equal Opportunity Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), mental disability, veteran status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, genetic information, medical (including genetic characteristics or cancer diagnosis), actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such discrimination is prohibited. Additionally, the Company will provide registered domestic partners with all rights and benefits as required by Law. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) prohibits employers from requesting or requiring genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities.