Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
At the heart of our foundry is high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. Our approaches are designed to scale 100-1000X via software and automation. We are seeking genetic engineers to improve and scale our existing technologies, and define and develop the next set of genetic technologies that will lie at the center of the foundry.
We are seeking inquisitive research associates to join our Build team to help us run and improve several high-throughput molecular biological processes. A demonstrated ability to evolve a process in response to changing technology and demands is essential. Experience in a mixed team of software developers, process engineers, and biologists is important.
- Interact with several complex software applications to plan, execute and track lab experiments
- Operate several types of high throughput liquid handlers safely and efficiently
- Identify and communicate process deviations quickly and efficiently
- Offer ideas for improvements in efficiency of the process based on research of current molecular biology tools
- Discuss ideas for improvement with Software and Automation teams
- Serve as an ambassador for the service to other scientists at Ginkgo
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS in biology, microbiology, genetics or equivalent
- Good understanding of standard molecular biological process such as PCR, restriction digestion, DNA assembly, Next Generation Sequencing and genomic integrations
- Strong preference given to candidates with familiarity with computer programming languages such as Python
- Familiarity with software or laboratory automation a plus
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack – we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.