The Athletic is a subscription-based media publisher of smarter sports coverage for die-hard fans. Founded in 2016, The Athletic’s full-time writers, alongside talented contributors and freelancers, have produced thousands of in-depth articles for subscribers free of ads, pop-ups and auto-play videos. With existing coverage in 45 markets and counting across North America, The Athletic is officially expanding into the United Kingdom. Our employees are talented reporters, writers, editors, engineers, designers, marketers, brand strategists and more, who are committed to helping sports fans fall in love with the sports page again.
About This Role
We are looking for a Business Analyst who is confident, adaptable and someone who can work alongside our strategy, planning and delivery functions on work streams that will shape the face of our business. We are looking for an individual who can develop excellent relationships with stakeholders in all areas of the business. You’ll need to be a self starter and highly collaborative with a passion for working to deliver solutions in order to grow our business.
This role is intended to provide the key link between business strategy, business operations, project governance and the technology requirements of The Athletic.
• Become an expert on The Athletic’s business processes
• Uncover and analyse data to create models that inform business decisions/build business cases
• Support Business Planning cycles, collate data across the business, work well within matric teams
• Identify, analyse and document business requirements derived from company strategy or internal need, working with internal customers and third parties
• Map as-is and to-be workflows, generating detailed process maps and use cases
• Support key stakeholders and internal customers with the identification and definition of business change
• Collate and track key business performance metrics to deliver UK growth working with US teams
• Provide data-driven insights to senior stakeholders in digestible and actionable formats
• Develops new, innovative and creative solutions to meet business challenges
• Implements change and forward thinking throughout the business
• Ensure plans are made and processes created to evaluate the impact of projects, including responsibility for reporting on this evaluation
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional work experience
• 2+ years relevant experience
• Considerable experience as a Business Analyst in a Media digital agile environment
• Strong technical experience with programming languages
• Must be proficient in SQL and Excel
• Experience with Python, R, or another scripting language
• A critical thinker, who is comfortable challenging the status-quo, strives for continuous improvement and asks why?
• Great attention to detail – able to think several steps ahead
• Strong and sensitive relationship management and stakeholder management skills with the ability to work, collaboratively with colleagues across multiple departments and services
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with colleagues based in San Francisco and around North America
• Is adaptable and has the ability to understand a variety of different business problems, applying the most appropriate analysis methodology for the circumstances
• A confident communicator who manages and engages stakeholders; identifying key players in delivering the right business outcomes and regularly delivers effective and clear messages
• A customer-centric and commercial mindset; ensuring that a focus on the customer and user needs remains paramount
• Excited by prospect of taking ownership of projects to deliver the business’ strategy
• Role will be based in London, UK (we will prioritise candidates currently residing in London or UK as the team is primarily located in London)
The Company is backed by Founders Fund, Evolution Media, Courtside Ventures, Comcast Ventures, Bedrock Capital, Advancit Capital, Y Combinator, and other leading investors. The Athletic is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.