StartupTAP is a recruiting consultancy empowering technological innovation by pairing the best ideas with the brightest minds. We are not a traditional staffing agency; we’re research-based, relationship-driven, and we pride ourselves on putting the strategic ahead of the expedient. Our clients span everything from early-stage startups incubating new ideas to globally established, multibillion-dollar enterprises. We work closely with investors, entrepreneurs, and business leaders to provide end-to-end talent management solutions for our partners. In doing so, we enable them to hire, retain, and develop people who they feel confident building their businesses around.
Join us in connecting talent with opportunity.
The Opportunity: Business Development Associate
StartupTAP is looking for an incredibly ambitious, self-motivated, and results-oriented professional to join our team and help us acquire new clients. We want critical thinkers and problem solvers who crave ownership over the work (as well as the autonomy that comes with it) and are comfortable being held accountable. Our team members aspire to more than the status quo; they challenge themselves to think outside the box and strive for excellence.
We value drive, determination, ethics, and a desire to improve and evolve. You don’t need to get everything right the first time; you DO need to be self-aware, willing to reflect on your strengths and weaknesses, and capable of taking the things you learn and applying them without losing momentum. We want to win, and we want our clients and candidates to win too. We believe that doing right by others yields even better results.
This is NOT a 9 to 5 - our environment is entrepreneurial and fast-paced. While we try not to take ourselves too seriously, we maintain a level of professionalism in our work and we trust our teammates to do the same.
Please note: This is a brand-new position. We’re looking for someone who is focused on their career and can truly make this role their own.
The Work – from the big picture down to the day-to-day responsibilities.
· Help drive StartupTAP’s growth by prospecting and engaging potential clients in a meaningful way. You will learn to become an indispensable recruitment partner to high-growth businesses in Southern California and beyond.
· You will learn the ins-and-outs of recruitment and be able to effectively develop businesses (and the people in them!) using a consultative, solution-focused approach.
· Develop and refine your ability to communicate effectively at the executive level in order to drive new business opportunities.
· Research, absorb and understand the industries our partners are a part of. Become an expert in the competitive landscape of companies you are targeting.
· Draft well-written and compelling messages in addition to leveraging both phone and in-person meetings as appropriate.
· Effectively utilize the internet (LinkedIn, Crunchbase, ZoomInfo, Indeed, our own site, client websites, etc.) to understand and identify key prospects.
· Target, engage, filter and screen prospects via phone, email, or LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
· Track all activity in HubSpot CRM.
· Leverage social media tools such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and others to drive results. Feel free to be creative.
· Able to rapidly develop meaningful relationships at all levels of an organization (both internal and external).
· Hold yourself accountable to yourself. Do what you say you’ll do to drive the results you want to drive.
· Network professionally and personally (you should be a natural at this!) – attend relevant industry events (post-COVID) and represent the firm when appropriate.
· Eventually, continue to build and maintain a book of clients that think of you as their ‘go-to’ provider in recruitment and beyond.
The Right Person – experience, qualifications, persona.
· EDUCATION: BA/BS degree preferred (will consider those with a demonstrated track record of success). Open to all majors.
· EXPERIENCE: Ideally, 1+ year(s) of work experience in a customer-facing, consulting, or sales/service-related role. We will consider individuals with less experience; it’s the right persona and talent that matters.
· Most importantly: If given the platform, you’re the type of person who will seize the opportunity and do what it takes to get things done.
· You are a phenomenal communicator – verbal, written, presentation, interpersonal (yes, all of it). You can carry a conversation and tell a great story.
· Amazing computer skills (we don't mean basic Microsoft Office; you must be tech and web savvy). Technology is an integral part of your day-to-day life.
· You are dependable and accountable. Our relationships are priceless to us; we need to know that we can trust you with them.
· You want to know “why” just as much as “what”. Gathering information (using Google and beyond) when you don’t know something is second nature to you.
· You’re incredibly organized and able to effectively juggle multiple competing priorities (ability to juggle actual tangible objects not required, although it does make for a good happy hour discussion).
· Self-motivated and able to work and deliver results with minimal to no supervision. We don’t and can’t micromanage; we all have our own work to deliver on.
· No ego. You can take constructive criticism and be a sponge when it comes to learning and adapting.
· MUST be detailed oriented and through. Did you catch those?
· Comfortable with negotiating? That’s a plus. Can you sell ice to an Eskimo? Even better. You become friends with the Eskimo after? Perfect.
· You are resourceful. You work hard, but you also work smart – and you continue finding ways to improve inefficiencies.
· You prefer to be on top of things, hate letting the ball drop and naturally take initiative. It’s who you are.
· You like to be plugged in and connected. You may even have a hard time unplugging.
· Interest, curiosity, severe or mild obsession with IoT, technology, media and consumer behavior all lend itself well to this space.
· Be of the highest level of integrity, character, and ethics.
· This isn’t a bureaucratic environment. We want to deliver results. So do you. That’s what matters.
Why join our team?
We believe people are the most important asset at any company, including ours. While we set the bar high at StartupTAP, our team members set their own bar even higher. We are fueled by ambition AND humility; the desire to learn, and the desire to build a best-in-class firm.
We don’t care where you came from – we judge you on who you are and what you do. You’ll be responsible for building the next generation of growth companies in partnership with movers and shakers at the cutting edge of their respective fields. If you have the appetite and the tenacity for it, you’ll learn more in a few months than most will in a few years. If they want it badly enough, every single person has the opportunity to make a significant and immediate impact.
Yes, including you.
· OFFICE: Remote for now, though our HQ is typically in Downtown Long Beach.
· GEAR: We provide you with the tools to get the job done (a.k.a. your new BFFs). Whether you’re MAC or PC, we have equipment for you, including a 22” monitor at the office (available for pickup from HQ during Covid-19) so you to have more screen real estate. BYOD for phones, but we got your cell plan covered.
· FLEXIBLE SCHEDULES: We all have too much to do and not enough time, which is why we’re hiring! We don’t have “set hours”; you make your own, but don’t be a stranger, this is a team thing after all. The only thing that’s mandatory is our weekly all-hands meeting.
Our team deeply values camaraderie, and we encourage everyone to be at the office (post-COVID) to collaborate. When you first start, that’s where you will learn the most.
· UNLIMITED TIME OFF: Embrace it, you deserve it. Take vacation and days off when you need to or when you just want a day off. We trust our team members to hold themselves accountable to their clients.
· OTHER PERKS: Once things are back to normal - Stocked office with food/snacks/drinks. We often have company lunches/dinners/happy hours (both planned and spontaneous)/random debates about everything and nothing… It’s a fun, fast-paced environment filled with like-minded people. We even have some medical and dental benefits to throw in.
Still reading? How to reach out (and get a reply).
1. Send an email to [email protected]
. Please include a resume and a brief message in the body of the email explaining WHY
you are interested in joining StartupTAP. If you can reference a specific line in this spec, even better.
2. Follow-up – We welcome any and all follow up. You can find our contact info on our site and LinkedIn pages.
We look forward to hearing from you.