Quartus Engineering Incorporated (www.quartus.com) is a leading provider of mechanical, optical, aerospace and electrical engineering services and integrated hardware solutions for the aerospace, defense, entertainment, commercial, consumer, and medical industries. We support our clients with advanced design, analysis, test, prototype development, and manufacturing using advanced CAD and CAE tools and leveraging our clean room laboratories.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, and technically-oriented Business Development Manager to join our growing engineering services team. This job is located at Quartus’ San Diego, CA or Herndon, VA office locations.
This position will report to the Director of Business Development. The Business Development Manager will initiate and drive all phases of the business-development life cycle, including marketing, opportunity generation, qualification, close, and post-close debrief. The Business Development Manager will also collaborate with senior engineering staff, the broader sales team, and other Directors to achieve stated outcomes for the sector as well as the broader company.
Essential Job Functions:
- Build and establish a wide network of clients and partners within the broader aerospace and mechanical engineering community, leveraging current personal relationships, existing Quartus relationships, and creating new relationships.
- Identify current and future engineering service opportunities by establishing personal rapport with clients and others who understand trends in industry
- Provide engineering service and technical information by answering client questions and requests.
- Establish new accounts by identifying and presenting capabilities to potential clients and preparing cost estimates, with guidance from Engineering and Project Managers.
- Plan and organize sales call schedule.
- Understand Quartus’ value proposition and differentiators. Collaborate with leadership to enhance these from the perspective of current and future clients.
- Prepare sales reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing sales information and engineering and application trends.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
- Contribute to sales effectiveness by identifying short- and long-term issues that must be addressed; provide information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommend options and courses of action; implement directives.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Engineering background with previous consulting sales experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success with lead generation through researching, understanding and qualifying opportunities
- Demonstrated success with relationship-based, network-based sales experience
- Demonstrated ability to build client rapport, debate constructively possible solution sets, challenge client thinking, create tailored solutions, and drive closure.
- Experienced with CRM and leveraging of social network
- Well versed in a range of mechanical engineering disciplines:
- CAE – all aspects: Design, Analysis, Simulation
- Structural, Thermal, Aero, CFD, Opto-mechanical, Mechatronics, etc.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in the following industries highly preferred: aerospace (civil, commercial, defense), photonics, industrial automation, and/or medical device
- Successful experience developing business with the US Government as the end customer
- Seasoned, proven professional with a minimum 10 years sales experience
- BS in applicable engineering field, MS or MBA or equivalent experience preferred
- Successful candidates will be highly collaborative and outgoing, with strong listening skills and the proven ability to leverage existing company expertise into opportunities with new clients and in new business areas.
- Successful candidates will also possess a genuine interest in the industries and enabling technologies that form the core of Quartus’ business.
- Some travel required.
Quartus provides comprehensive benefits including competitive salary, discretionary performance-based bonus, employee stock ownership plan, medical, dental, vision, and 401k plan with company match. Quartus is an equal opportunity employer.