Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
You will be a core member of Sotheby’s Global Business Development and Sotheby’s Marketplace team, managing costs, developing metrics, and driving revenue opportunities for these key business areas. You will act as a business partner to the departments focused on P&L management and reporting. This role is central to support day to day corporate business activities, assess new business opportunities and develop and review relevant, timely and reliable management information that complements and enhances the business strategy, goals and objectives. You can think analytically, synthesize quantitative and qualitative information, and are excited by proactive problem solving.
Global Business Development:
- Oversee and manage P&L for Global Business Development: departments include key client facing worldwide business development departments (Chairman, Fiduciary Client Group, Consignment Management, Valuations, Tax & Heritage, Museum Services, Coverage Group, Client Strategy, Americas Sourcing Offices, and Advisory).
- Partner with Global Business Development management and other department stakeholders to develop, execute, communicate, and track the annual budget throughout the year.
- Establish metrics for Global Business Development division to drive revenue and accountability, in active collaboration with department management, Finance, and Business Intelligence.
- Support the financial management of non-sale related client billing and invoicing.
- Review and approve of hourly and overtime eligible employee timesheets.
- By working with Legal, Compliance and Procurement departments, oversee the execution of temporary staff, consultant, and special vendor contracts.
- Partner with Finance for all Business Development Marketing costs, including Preferred costs and charitable donations.
- Manage regional bank accounts, tax processes, and regional office spend.
- Support the transition and general oversight of various investment vehicles:
- Partner with Finance, Tax, and Treasury on regular reporting
- Manage sales plans.
- Manage and approve all Global Business Development Division T&E spend, including regular reporting and partnering with relevant managers.
- Act as a central point of contact for business management group for questions as it relates to enforcing and managing the Sotheby’s Global T&E policies.
- Manage annual budget planning and regular forecasting in partnership with Finance and Heads of Sotheby’s Marketplace business areas.
Serve as the first business point of contact for standard contract negotiations (consignments, vendors,
consultants, or other third parties).
- Translate financial results and KPIs into operational recommendations to optimize the business.
- Develop financial models (revenue and expense) to support consignments; approve/escalate where appropriate.
- Manage all sale and department expenses.
- Regularly review and develop plans for Sotheby’s Marketplace inventory, in partnership with Operations and Finance teams.
- Act in a client-facing capacity and as an internal conduit to troubleshoot pre- and post- sale issues.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 7+ years of professional experience in a business management, banking, financial or consulting role; experience in an e-commerce company is a plus.
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills; ability to succinctly present to stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds.
- Prior deal or contract negotiation experience preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, multi-tasker.
- Creative problem solver, energetic and persistent.
- Confident team player, capable of working well independently in ambiguous situations.
- Prior art experience is not required, but an interest or curiosity in art and luxury is a plus.
The proposed base salary for this position ranges from $90,000-$110,000. In addition to base salary successful candidates are eligible to receive a discretionary bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.