Chief Financial Officer
High Tech High
Developed by a coalition of San Diego civic leaders and educators, High Tech High opened in September 2000 as a small public charter school with plans to serve approximately 450 students. HTH has evolved into an integrated network of sixteen charter schools serving approximately 6,350 students in grades K-12 across four campuses.
Located in San Diego County, California, High Tech High (HTH) is guided by four connected design principles—equity, personalization, authentic work, and collaborative design—that set aspirational goals and create a foundation for understanding our approach. If you are motivated by these principles, we encourage you to join our team!
HTH seeks a Chief Financial Officer, to serve as a member of the executive team, under the direct supervision and guidance of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The Chief Financial Officer plays a critical role in the overall strategic management of the four High Tech High (HTH) organizations, comprising the charter organization of nonprofit High Tech High schools, HTH Learning, the HTH Graduate School of Education, and High Tech High Foundation. The CFO is responsible for setting the financial strategy, leading long-term financial forecasting and planning and budgeting, while also designing and delivering effective financial systems across all four HTH organizations. Additionally, the CFO will oversee the team responsible for HTH Learning’s extensive real estate portfolio. The CFO leads the Central Management Organization (CMO) and supervises Business Office staff.
● Provides strategic vision and leadership on HTH’s annual and long-term financial and operational plans, goals, metrics, and policies and regularly evaluate HTH’s performance against these goals and the annual budget
● Oversees all financial operations of the organization including accounts receivables/payables, invoicing, tax, accounting, bank relationships, treasury, cash management, payroll, forecasting, and risk management activities
● Prepares and presents timely and accurate financial reports and deep analyses for senior management, Board of Directors, including the Finance, Investment and Audit Committees; leads audit preparations, and manages the ongoing relationship with the external auditors to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements
● Develops and refines financial systems and processes that will help support services and program teams across the institution to work together collaboratively and effectively
● Ensures that effective internal controls are in place, and ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting
● Composes a wide variety of internal and external reports for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written references, and conveying financial information
● Works with Human Resources to attract, hire, train, evaluate and motivate a diverse finance and accounting team
● Oversee Business Office, including the supervision of Business Office staff
● Positively manages internal staff and external stakeholder relationships
The ideal candidate would possess the following competencies:
● Managing school financial systems
● Ability to plan and set a financial strategy
● Inform and communicate effectively
● Leadership and supervisory capability
● Ability to manage diversity
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
● BS in Accounting, Business Administration with an emphasis in Accounting, or Finance, and MBA or CPA is required
● Experience with California Education Code and federal and state regulations
● Minimum of 15 years of overall professional experience
● Minimum five years of financial and operations management with a school district, charter management organization, nonprofit, major company or division of a large corporation. Experience in a not-for-profit environment is preferred but not required.
● Minimum of 5 years of progressive senior responsibility in developing and building out financial reporting structures
● Experience with public finance transactions
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. HTH offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, and vision for full-time employees and their dependents.
If you fit the qualifications above, and are looking for a forward-thinking, innovative institution that embodies visionary leadership and embraces diversity, then High Tech High is the place for you!
To apply, visit our website, and complete an online application: