Chief Marketing Officer, New York Public Radio
The Chief Marketing Officer is a newly structured role that has critical, executive-level responsibility for the NYPR brand and portfolio of brands, membership, audience development and data intelligence. The focus of this senior leader is to create, nurture and strengthen relationships with NYPR audiences and members, by expanding reach with new audiences, building brand and audience loyalty and driving membership. This executive will apply broad consumer marketing experience and digital-savvy to transform the way NYPR brands itself, communicates and engages with audiences, builds new diverse audiences, and acquires and retains members.
The Chief Marketing Officer is responsible for providing vision and leading teams that develop, implement and measure strategies across brand, marketing, media and public relations, audience intelligence, audience development and membership including on-air and digital fundraising. This senior leader secures and oversees strategic investments to accelerate the growth and deepen NYPR’s impact in all of these areas. They report to the CEO and work in close collaboration with the entire NYPR management team to achieve the overall revenue, content and audience goals thereby helping NYPR to deliver on its mission. In addition, this executive is a key leader helping to build a people-centered culture that is diverse and inclusive.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and drives a cohesive marketing strategy with the goal of increasing brand awareness, audience growth, audience insights, audience acquisition and retention (membership).
- Serves as the primary steward for the NYPR portfolio of Responsible for ensuring brand identity and messaging are clear and consistent across the consumer-facing brands (WNYC, Gothamist, WNYC Studios, WQXR, and The Greene Space).
- Provides leadership for membership growth including acquisition and retention strategies and Explores and develops opportunities for integrated on-air, digital and direct mail campaigns.
- In collaboration with the CEO and senior leadership team, sets overall organizational audience and membership goals. Oversees metrics to ensure performance is on track and regularly communicates metrics to key stakeholders across the business.
- Ensures that marketing and membership are working together in unison to achieve membership and broader company goals.
- Builds a high-performance marketing, membership and data team to help NYPR effectively deliver on its mission in both the analog radio and digital worlds.
- Builds and leads a team with strong capabilities in digital marketing and direct to consumer membership.
- Builds a close partnership with the Chief Content Officer and content team to deliver on the NYPR mission and increase our service to new audiences.
- Develops a best in class database and data analytics staff with the capability to move from the current reporting function to a function that can show leading indicator data that more effectively helps executive leadership make decisions and increase understanding of user and potential user demographics, behaviors and needs across online, mobile and social channels.
- Manages the performance, selection and structure of internal and external teams required to execute strategies to meet brand, audience and membership growth.
- In partnership with the senior management team, develops and manages the programming promotion calendar ensuring the right levels of promotion support for programs and initiatives consistent with NYPR strategic priorities.
- Develops strategic PR and communications plans that underscore and clearly communicate NYPR’s unique value proposition.
- Collaborates with Development to achieve growth in major gifts through data mining the membership population and acquisition of new major gift donors.
- Committed to participating in the continued cultural transformation objectives around creating a culture of diversity, inclusion, excellence and building a healthy, vibrant people-focused culture.
- Continues to focus on building NYPR’s local presence and increasing the organization’s role as a key influencer and member of the news, arts and culture of the New York City area.
- SVP, Membership
- VP, Communications
- Senior Director, Marketing Brand & Creative
- Director, Audience Development
- Senior Director, Data
- Must be authentically passionate about the mission of Experience in a mission-oriented company/organization ideal. Experience with news, journalism or content-based businesses a plus.
- Team player with proven ability to collaborate with colleagues across functional
- Well-rounded, experienced consumer marketing executive who has successfully managed a broad portfolio of marketing responsibilities (brand, performance marketing, data analytics, communications etc).
- Digital-savvy leader with a deep understanding of the methods of attracting and acquiring new audiences and deepening engagement with
- Experience in a membership or consumer subscription business and/or experience managing multiple brands as part of an umbrella brand is a
- History of visionary marketing leadership and experience with building teams in a direct to consumer
- A strong strategic thinker who uses data and metrics to inform strategies to measure the effectiveness of various marketing initiatives and activities and ability to adjust course as
- A demonstrated willingness to experiment, test and learn in order to grow new audiences and members with initiatives, campaigns and
- Experience and enthusiasm developing a team and attracting
- Commitment and comfort in helping to continue to build a diverse and inclusive
- Strong manager and People-oriented manager who understands the work required to be a great manager.
- Must be comfortable working in a hands-on environment with limited
- Ideal team player - Humble, Hungry and People Smarts (High EQ)
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent Listener