Skillz is the marketplace driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a rapidly growing mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game makers by connecting them to players, helping anyone embrace their inner champion. Skillz enables fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes for anyone, anywhere. .The company has already worked with 17,500 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 1.5 billion tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America. The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Skillz is looking for an elite executive to build the brand for one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. As a member of the company’s c-suite, you’ll lead a team driving triple digit growth of both players and game developers. Your mandate will be to build Skillz into a household name while spearheading the development and execution of the company’s brand, managing marketing, communications, customer service and PR. You will play a pivotal role in a business that has growing network effects across an industry with hundreds of thousands of game developers and billions of consumers. To be successful you should have extensive experience managing all aspects of the marketing function in a large high-growth entrepreneurial company. You have either already lived through the process of guiding a company through hyper-growth as the CMO or second in command to the CMO.
Although primary responsibilities encompass all marketing functions of the organization, your team leadership capabilities, exceptional hiring prowess, and on-point performance management will be equally important to ensure this rocket ship of a business gains ever-increasing altitude.
Responsibilities & Competencies
- Brand Development - Develop and articulate a unified Skillz brand across the platform and manage the brand across our player and developer product offerings, marketing campaigns, and press coverage. Build the brand into a globally-recognized, household name.
- Performance Marketing - Run a highly analytical performance marketing team deploying $100MM+ annual advertising budget towards acquiring both players and game developers. Must be budget conscious and optimize towards long term ROAS. Must possess a deep understanding of the changing dynamics of the ad markets, including digital, mobile, and offline channels.
- Community Development and Customer Advocacy - Optimize the player experience, ensuring Skillz maximizes retention through strong marketing and customer support initiatives. Develop and manage innovative live operations, while keeping bad actors out through a proactive approach to trust and safety. Maintain a platform ecosystem that lives our brand values at all times.
- Master of breaking down long range goals into consumable milestones: Ensure that the marketing organization, at a department level, is delivering ‘investable plans’ for each planning cycle (short, mid, and long-term) while being held accountable to results based OKRs and KPIs.
- Scalable Process Development: Build departmental systems and automate processes to enable the company to scale while achieving efficiency gains and quality improvements on a sequential basis.
- Industry Veteran: Deep understanding of changing market dynamics. Ability to leverage network to develop new partnerships and marketing channels.
- Exceptional interviewer: Build robust talent evaluation systems to hire and manage an elite team
- Leader of people and builder of teams: Motivate and lead a high-performance team of managers and professionals; provide active mentoring as a cornerstone to career development. Attract, retain and promote individuals suited to operate in an entrepreneurial environment, requiring a willingness to "roll-up-the-sleeves," but also capable of contributing at a strategic level as needed.
- Previous leadership experience as either the #1 or #2 marketing executive at a hyper-growth company.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage multi-billion dollar brand
- Experience marketing a two-sided marketplace
- An ability to strike a balance between managing the day-to-day marketing functions and influencing the strategic vision of the company
Personal Attributes and Values
- Self-confident, self-motivated, self-driven leader who will speak up and does not succumb to groupthink. Comfortable weighing in or articulating a contrarian point of view in a collaborative setting. Embraces healthy conflict based on a foundation of trust in order to reach the best possible outcomes. Capable of handling difficult conversations, does not defer them unduly, and can teach others how to do the same.
- Strong value-based approach to marketing investment and departmental planning.
- Pragmatic visionary who not only dreams but executes on transformational ideas.
- World-class communicator who leads by example and inspires teams at all levels of the organization.