Are you interested in languages, education and technology and want to work in one of the world's fastest growing EdTech startups? Then join us and be part of an ambitious and talented team that revolutionises how we learn languages.
Busuu is the best way to learn a language.We are the world's largest language learning community with over 100 million users in 190 countries, growing at up to 30,000 new users per day. We empower our users to achieve their language learning goals by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
We are a profitable, fast growing tech startup with over 120 employees and offices in Madrid and London. We have been backed by leading institutional investors and entrepreneurs (PROFounders Capital, McGraw-Hill Education, GP Bullhound, Martin Varsavsky, Brent Hoberman etc) and have been named as ‘Best EdTech Startup’ in Europe by TechCrunch. We are currently expanding our senior executive team to help us unlock the next level of growth.
What does a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) do at Busuu?
The CMO will define, and execute on Busuu’s marketing strategy with overall responsibility for user acquisition, and together with the CPO and CLO, for retention and monetisation. The CMO will deliver against the Busuu’s ambitious financial objectives, whilst establishing Busuu as the global ‘go to’ brand for language learning, and a byword for outstanding customer experience.
- You will develop a deep appreciation for Busuu’s mission, and develop ways of articulating that mission that will resonate with the target audiences. You will build brand equity that resonates with local customer tastes and preferences and provide a global platform to drive accelerated commercial growth.
- You will develop, champion and instil a rigorous, analytical and data-driven approach to all marketing activities, and ensure that the marketing mix is optimised at all times, across channels (both on- and offline) and regions.
- You will collaborate closely with the broader business to conceive, and launch new products, as well as driving product marketing, including the product positioning and all associated marketing materials across all channels.
- Team leadership will be a key element of this role. You will inherit a team of 20 reports across Acquisition, CRM, Brand, Customer Service, B2B and Design, with plans to quickly expand the team further.
- You will be a trusted advisor and sounding board for the CEO, and an important contributor to broader business strategy and decision-making. You will be seen by the Board and executive leadership team, and the entire Busuu organisation, as a deeply credible and trusted figure, and a key asset for the company.
What we’re looking for in a CMO:
You will be a highly impactful, growth-oriented marketer, who brings a proven track record of success within international, high-growth digital consumer businesses with a strong mobile app presence.
- Proven track record of success in marketing leadership roles in international high-growth digital businesses. You will have a proven track record of growing customer bases/revenues/all marketing metrics in high-growth companies. You have operated across the whole marketing funnel (acquisition, engagement, retention) and a wide range of marketing channels.
- A people leader – you have a track record of building and leading high-performing marketing teams. A strong communicator who can set a clear vision and strategy and mobilise teams to execute.
- Strong brand sensibilities – storytelling, brand building & advocacy. You have experience of formulating and driving a brand strategy (from inception or adapting/evolving existing brand). You can cite experience of building a brand through effective storytelling and crafting a narrative to appeal to different customer segments.
- Commercial acumen and a data/KPI-driven approach. Able to evidence having deployed data-driven, ROI-based marketing activities. You will possess strong commercial acumen and be relentless in understanding how marketing activities drive revenue growth and other key success metrics.
- International experience. Proven multi-country and multi-cultural experience. Ideally will have operated on a global basis and will understand how to adapt to different customer behaviours and nuances.
- Culture, mission and values fit. You will demonstrate alignment with Busuu’s values. Charismatic, tenacious and ambitious, as well as high-integrity, rigorous, low-ego, collaborative and personable. Will be excited by and passionate about Busuu’s mission and purpose.
In return we will ensure that you have:
- Attractive base salary and bonus scheme
- Stock option package
- Private health insurance
- Pension contributions
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- The ability to shape and be part of one of the most exciting edtech companies in the world