Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
What You Will Do
- Evangelize the engineering team in its entirety to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Take quick action as it relates to converting new ideas into final product with a collaborative mindset as you partner with product, design, quality, and operations.
- Own the technology product roadmap.
- Possess technical acumen as it relates both to platform engineering and mobile engineering.
- Lead a team of geographically dispersed engineers with a diversity of skills.
- Invest in building a scalable infrastructure for operational efficiencies and a quality, end user focused mindset.
- Recruit exceptional talent to scale geographically dispersed engineering teams while being a champion for the greater engineering organization.
- 10+ years of proven success as a complex technological environments with increasing responsibility in an engineering leadership capacity.
- Proven success building and leading high performing technology teams.
- Experience either as a platform engineer earlier in your career or having led a team of platform engineers.
- Experience either as a mobile engineer earlier in your career or having led a team of mobile engineers.
- Understanding of SAFe frameworks and agile development.
As our next CTO, we expect you to foster and embody the following traits:
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of how changes in competitors, clients, regulatory decisions and markets segments affect PayPal ‘s business.
- Translates broad corporate strategies into clear, specific objectives and actionable plans .
- Creates thoughtful plans that address specific business objectives or challenges to achieved desired results .
- Manages extremely complex issues with high degree of technical insight and business knowledge.
- Thinks 2-3 years ahead.
- Publicly identifies needed changes or directions that need adjustment; challenges assumptions and norms about “the way things are done.”
- Communicates new directions or changes with clear rationale and appeal.
- Advocates for change and takes it onboard personally, even countering conventional practices that may block change .
- Speaks at all available opportunities about the future direction of the company and/or industry.
- Adjusts rapidly to changing situations and to respond to audience concerns (including culture, background, or style).
Leading and Developing People Capability
- Engages with employees to develop a clear perception of long-term capabilities and potential, and to provide regular balanced feedback and guidance.
- Gives practical support and guiding principles for growing capabilities, not just technical skills.
- Systematically develops employees through stretch assignments with specific development goals.
- Uses both informal and structured approaches to career development to focus on individual improvement and growth over time.
- Supports opportunities for team members when talent is needed elsewhere and a move would provide individuals with development opportunities.
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.