SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CNC VTL MACHINIST
- Set up, operate and program CNC VTL machines
- Machine precision fixtures, tools and products from drawings, in accordance with established procedures, with limited supervision
- Plan machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, CAD files, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interprets geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T)
- Operate lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; set tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculate requirements including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry
- Set-up lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers, tramming heads, fixturing and workholding as required, including adding features for holding if necessary for particular part geometry
- Verify settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample work pieces
- Maintain specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; maintain cutting tools and makes necessary adjustments in machine control to meet part specifications
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations
- Maintain continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs
- Responsible for improving the shop's quality and productivity through addressing machining issues that arise in the manufacturing process
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of CNC VTL machining experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of CNC VTL machining, set-up and operations experience
- Ability to read accurately and write clearly, perform basic arithmetic calculations accurately
- Experience in shop math, tooling technology, blueprint reading and measurement of parts
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strong interpersonal skills including, but not limited to, contributing to a team-oriented environment, balancing team and individual responsibilities
- Physical requirements: repetitive movement, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls, exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting
- This is a 1st shift role working from 5 AM - 1:30 PM
- Standing for long periods of time, climbing up and down ladders, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, and stretching are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be willing to work overtime when needed, including weekends
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.