About Color of Change:
Color Of Change is one of the largest Black-led racial justice organizations in the country with more than 7 million email and SMS subscribers. We specialize in providing our members with easy, strategic actions to take in response to racial injustices—that, when added with the voices of others—create the leverage for winning real-world change for Black people.
From challenging injustice to pushing back against Silicon Valley enablers of white supremacists, Color Of Change has a track record of holding decision-makers — corporate and political — accountable to Black people.
There has never been a more exciting time to be a user experience designer at Color Of Change. We’re making deep investments in technology and data to optimize our work of improving the lives of Black people.
As the first-ever Lead UX Designer at Color of Change, you will lead the vision for designing and building software and tools that are user-friendly, intuitive, and valuable for our end users. You will operate as a UX expert on a cross-functional team to validate a service’s usefulness and drive adoption. You’ll have the chance to hire a team of experts to deliver user-centered products while building capacity for product innovation at Color of Change.
- As the first UX hire, spearhead a design practice that is transparent, inclusive, and flexible
- Collaborate with product, engineering, data, and campaigner teammates to create thoughtful end-to-end user experiences
- Manage the creation and manage streamlined processes for:
- Facilitating design workshops;
- Conducting usability tests and user research on existing tools and designs;
- Mapping service blueprints and user journeys;
- Synthesizing findings and making product recommendations;
- Iteratively designing wireframes, mockups and interactions
- Deploy effective tactics to drive adoption of new products, tools, and systems
- Consistently advocate for a diverse user base by committing to understanding users’ needs and developing feedback loops to improve their experience over time
- Develop a framework for clear and consistent user experience across Color of Change’s platforms and campaigns
- Identify opportunities to improve user conversion rates and build experiments to test and scale new tactics
- Cultivate a high-performing team by coaching designers and providing in-depth design reviews and audits
- Build a well-rounded team by identifying capacity gaps and hiring staff or vendors to fill those gaps
The ideal candidate will have:
- A portfolio that shows a track record of designing and launching user-centered products with clear success metrics
- Deep understanding of mobile-first UX best practices and design principles
- A background researching, building, releasing, and iterating on products using agile methodologies
- Strong knowledge of design tools, such as: Figma, Sketch, Zeplin, MIRO, InVision, etc. and ability to select the correct set of tools for different sets of users
- A passion for ethical and inclusive design practices
- A proactive approach for creating streamlined systems for the design process
- Clear examples of distilling complex design challenges into concrete action steps
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and managing a high-performing team that is continuously improving
- Expertise in facilitating and coaching teams new to user-centered design, including sharing design processes and recommendations in different formats depending on the audience
- Dedication to the mission of Color Of Change: to help people respond effectively to injustice in the world around us, moving decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people
Location: United States (fully remote), with opportunity to travel up to 25% of the time as needed for projects
Union Position: Yes
Reports to: Cedric Lang, Deputy Chief Technology Officer
Salary: $150,000/year. This is a full-time exempt position.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance - Health benefits plus dental, vision, and affordable family coverage.
- Flex Spending Account - Tax free accounts to offset transportation and medical costs.
- 401K Plan - To save for retirement.
- Life Insurance & Disability - To protect you and your family.
- Generous Vacation Package - 17 days of vacation (almost 3 and a half weeks!) plus 9 sick days and 10 holidays each year.
- Paid Parental Leave - New parents get this time to spend with their family! 12 weeks if you've been here a year or more!
- Sabbatical - After 5 years employment, take some time to recharge and pursue personal projects.
Application deadline: February 22, 2023
How to Apply
Click the "Apply for this position" link below and submit a resume as well as a link to your portfolio.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.