Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 90 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange in June 2019 and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
Trainline requires an ambitious leader to drive our global Commercial division, supporting the business through its next phase of expansion and growth. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced commercial leader to drive significant and highly visible results within the business.
Travel, today, is at a unique inflexion point with approximately 50% of the rail industry being off-line. As the no.1 train and coach platform in Europe, we have a huge opportunity to lead a fundamental change in user behaviour and transform the industry – whether moving to greener methods of transport, or allowing customers to seamlessly unlock the potential through our app. The European market represents a significant growth opportunity for our business in particular, with trainline being the leading innovator across the rail sector. Navigating the many industry challenges and complexities, this role will play an integral part in seizing the huge international market opportunity for our business.
Reporting into the Chief Commercial Officer, this role has sole leadership responsibility to develop, prioritise and drive the implementation of our commercial strategy in our global B2C business.
- Provide thought leadership and contribute to the development of the long-term strategy of the B2C business
- Define and drive strategy to ensure fit with overall Trainline group strategy and company-wide goals
- Prepare business plans to provide clear prioritisation, sequencing and alignment for all stakeholders on execution of the plan
- Prioritise and synthesise initiatives within the commercial team, and across the Product, Marketing and Engineering teams
- Define the capabilities required to help us win and deliver the plan
- Drive performance – identify opportunities and make commercial recommendations to ensure profitability and growth
- Engage, inspire, motivate all employees cross functionally
- Manage performance against budget KPIs
- Ideally a management consulting background with relevant experience in commercial roles in high growth Digital/Tech businesses
- Deep expertise in developing and executing on commercial strategies
- Proven track record of exceeding KPIs
- Build, grow, hire great teams and work with them to get the job done to the highest standards
- Able to quickly analyse, synthesise, form and test hypotheses
- A growth mindset, able to define commercial plans and set stretching goals
- Deeply analytical and numerate with strong data bias
- Ability to develop deep understanding of customer and market needs
- A proven expertise of working globally at scale
- Lateral thinking that explores innovative strategies and creative solutions
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Driven and humble leadership style
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.