As a Commercial & Tax Counsel of Agoda, located in Bangkok, Thailand, you will work in a small dedicated legal team and support the General Counsel on general commercial legal work, with a focus on tax issues, in close cooperation with the Tax team (Finance). Whereas the Tax team will focus on the technical and compliance aspects, the Commercial Tax Counsel will be expected to focus on the legal side of things, including coordination with specialized outside counsel.
The legal department is broadly divided into group functions, but you will support cross-functional throughout the team as needed.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Tax Law and Projects
- Work on tax analysis with the Tax team and outside counsel;
- Assessment of tax positions and interpretations of business models;
- Help to understand interpretations of the model by authorities;
- Providing legal advice for any tax related matters globally;
- Keeping up with new developments in tax laws;
- Implementing and maintaining best practices and procedures.
Legal & Administration
- Work as directed by General Counsel and management;
- Develop an excellent working relation with the Tax team;
- Coordinate and work with outside counsel and colleagues;
- Support the growth of the business across Asia and globally;
- Reviewing or drafting intercompany and intra group agreements with special attention to tax matters
- Where relevant, reviewing processing agreements with third party vendors;
- If required, delivering trainings as needed;
- Coordinating day-to-day activities of legal advisors including initial engagement briefings, agreeing and monitoring fee rates/estimates and conclusion of work to satisfactory standard. Ensuring “value-for-money” on all services;
- Handle relationships with outside counsel, as needed, in key jurisdictions, in a cost-effective manner;
- Ensure that outside counsel are adequately aware of the company’s business environment and special internet considerations.
- Whilst Tax advice will take up a big chunk of the time, the role will also require to step in and assist with commercial work
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial agreements whilst ensuring legal contracts used are in-line with best practice and provide appropriate legal protection while serving the commercial interests of the business
- Advise on implications of termination of particular contractual relationships and negotiate, as applicable, early terminations.
- Ad-hoc projects.
- Degree in Law at a respected university or law school;
- Additional Degree in Taxation or Tax law is a definite asset;
- Experience with both mature and developing jurisdictions;
- 7- 10 years of relevant experience in a top tier law firm and/or major corporation;
- Experience and good knowledge of international tax laws, both direct (CIT, PE,…) and indirect (VAT, GST,…), and experience with managing international tax projects;
- Familiarity with and interest in international tax developments such as BEPS, MAAL, DPT, etc.;
- Experience with e-commerce would be advantageous;
- Good working knowledge and understanding of IT systems;
- Excellent communication skills in English;
- Other language skills are a definite plus;
- Working experience or already based in Asia is a plus;
- Strategic thinker with good commercial instincts;
- Team player.