What’s so interesting about this role?
Grindr connects LGBTQ people with one another and the world. We are the world’s largest social network focused on the LGBTQ community, enabling our users to find and engage with each other and generally express themselves. We are devoted to providing a platform for social interactions for the community and to cultivating a safe and accepting environment where all are welcome and feel a sense of belonging.
Grindr is looking for a driven, experienced, and organized Controller who is inspired by a fast-paced environment and building a strong Accounting function. The Controller will establish a consistent financial statement close process, identify process gaps and improvements needed after our recent IPO, and lead the accounting team to execute as a publicly traded company. This role is designed for an individual who has a strong understanding of US GAAP, an adaptability to change, and a strong sense of ownership. The Controller will report directly to the Chief Accounting Officer and manage the operational accounting functions, including AR and AP.
What’s the job?
- Manage the day-to-day monthly financial statement close process; deliver accurate and timely monthly financial results
- Review financial statements and related account analysis, ensuring that all accounting records are maintained in accordance with GAAP
- Ensure all accounts are reconciled monthly, with appropriate support. Train team as needed to execute on supportable reconciliations
- Identify accounting issues and propose solutions working with cross-functional partners; continuously identify areas of process improvement
- Serve as thought partner to the CAO and broader finance organization
- Establish AR aging review process for collection risk
- Collaborate with engineering team to improve capitalized software tracking
- Implement and maintain internal controls to ensure SOX compliance
- Collaborate with FP&A to ensure complete and accurate flow of information between departments
- Ensure consistent coding of transactions to general ledger account segments
- Evaluate processes and implement more efficient practices and procedures to consistently execute a 5 day monthly close; continue to automate aspects of the month end close
- Serve as key contact to external auditors with respect to quarterly reviews, annual audits, and other audits, as needed
- Develop accounting team
- Provide information for financial statement footnotes and disclosures
- Support other functions as needed, such as tax and payroll
- Complete ad hoc projects as needed
What we’ll love about you
- 12+ years accounting experience, with a mix of public and private experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- CPA required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Team leader with experience managing and developing teams
- Detailed-oriented, results driven, resourceful, comfortable with ambiguity, and willing to roll up your sleeves in a hands on capacity
- A team player who helps problem solve issues as they arise
- Strong sense of integrity, responsibility, and accountability
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, organizational, and time management skills
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Working knowledge of ERP systems, experience in Oracle Fusion or other Oracle products is a plus
- Technology, media, or entertainment industry experience
- Worked at a publicly traded company
What you’ll love about us
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGBTQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGBTQ people around the world
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and eligibility for company bonus and equity programs
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Industry-leading gender-affirming offerings with up to 90% cost coverage, access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and more
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Location: This is a hybrid role based in our New York City office and will require you to be in office Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Grindr is the world’s largest dating app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. With around 13 million monthly active users, Grindr has become a fundamental part of the global LGBTQ community, and we take pride in empowering our users to connect, express themselves, and discover the queer world around them.
Our next evolution is underway as a newly public company looking to expand and continue to build meaningful experiences for our users. From social issues to original content, we’re blazing innovative paths with impact for our community, all while leveraging the latest tech stacks and striving for engineering excellence. At the heart of our work in this new chapter is a shared set of core values: openness and exploration, a bias for action, and strong support of the LGBTQ community.
With a track record of strong financial performance and plans for continued headcount growth, we’re looking to build a team of talented, passionate, and open-minded people who believe in our mission, align with our values, and are excited to work at the intersection of innovative technology and social impact. Come be a part of this exciting journey with us.
Grindr is an equal-opportunity employer
Grindr is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, location, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role will also be eligible for equity, benefits, and a company bonus program.
Base Pay Range