ByHeart is an infant nutrition company built from the ground up to deliver real innovation on behalf of babies and parents. Our mission is simple: make the best formula in the world. That’s why we studied the latest breast milk science, worked directly with suppliers we know and trust, set uncompromising quality standards, developed our own small batch blending process, built our own manufacturing facilities, and conducted a groundbreaking clinical trial. Our goal is to create a future where all parents feel amazing about feeding their baby—no matter how they do it.
When we launched our Whole Nutrition Infant Formula in March 2022, we were the first new U.S infant formula manufacturer in 15 years. Since then, we’ve been leading the way in a lot of ways.
- The only U.S.-made infant formula to use organic, grass-fed whole milk
- The first and only U.S. infant formula company to add the two most abundant proteins found in breast milk—alpha-lac and lactoferrin—to our ingredients list
- The first infant formula company to receive Clean Label Project’s Purity Award (and we test for 700 contaminants vs the required 400)
- We ran the largest clinical trial by a new infant formula brand in 25 years—clinically proving our benefits vs a leading infant formula like:
- Less spit up
- Softer poops
- Easier digestion
- More efficient weight gain
- Enhanced nutrient absorption
- Longer stretches between nighttime feeds*
With >$250M in funding, we’re shifting the industry forward—and this is just the beginning. Help us build a future where all parents can feel amazing about feeding, by joining our growing team of >275 people that stretches across the country.
We're proud to offer competitive, family-first benefits, including but not limited to:
Health insurance for the whole family: medical, dental, & vision insurance covered 100%, with 90% coverage for your family.
Flexible paid time off: plus 12+ company holidays, and 2 floating holidays to use at your discretion!
16-weeks of fully-paid parental leave and new parent support: free 1-year supply of formula, cozy feeding suites, and paid pumping time.
- Up to 6% 401(k) Match to help you plan for your future.
Company equity for every employee: because when we succeed, we succeed together!
Visit our site to learn more, and check out some recent press on ByHeart:
*based on data from infants at approximately 4 months of age
Reports To: Chief Legal Officer
Location: New York City, New York
Start Date: ASAP
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support our Chief Legal Officer in designing and building a world class legal function that sits at the center of our organization and brings both a strategic and operational approach to supporting ByHeart’s growth.
- Act as the key interface of the legal function to ByHeart’s marketing, creative, content, and regulatory teams and develop thoughtful solutions to key initiatives, considering the legal and regulatory landscape.
- Partner with ByHeart’s medical and regulatory teams to review product claims, substantiation, labeling/packaging, advertising and marketing campaigns (including social, digital and retail executions), promotional materials, consumer responses, and other external communications and provide risk assessments and mitigation options.
- Evaluate other existing and proposed business practices to identify and assess risks to the company and recommend risk mitigation strategies.
- Support the Chief Legal Officer in any early assessment of threatened and pending litigation.
- Contribute to the drafting of policies, procedures, and related guidelines within an area of expertise to meet defined key principles and ensure compliance with external requirements.
Skills & Qualifications
- Juris Doctor required.
- Active bar membership in good standing in at least one U.S. jurisdiction (New York preferred).
- 3+ years of top tier law firm experience focused on consumer brands, life sciences, pharmaceutical, food & beverage industries
- Experience working on a variety of marketing & intellectual property matters.
- Previous in-house experience at a commercial brand preferred.
- Strong practical business judgment, including the ability to understand the business implications of legal issues.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively at all levels in a tight knit but rapidly growing organization.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and conflicting deadlines simultaneously with a willingness to roll up their sleeves.
- Pride in all aspects of their work and desire to take ownership of issues and matters from start to finish.
The minimum annual salary for this position is $155,000 and the maximum is $215,000. The salary range for performing this role outside of New York City will differ. Additionally, you will be eligible for a discretionary performance based annual cash bonus and to participate in our company’s equity program, plus our robust medical, dental, vision, retirement, and other benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.