Vroom is an innovative end-to-end ecommerce company that is revolutionizing the car buying experience. Our scalable, data-driven technology brings all phases of the vehicle buying and selling process to consumers wherever they are and offers an extensive selection of vehicles, transparent pricing, competitive financing, and contact-free, at-home pick-up and delivery. We have experienced tremendous growth and have become a disruptive force in the automotive industry. Vroom is an exciting, dynamic workplace, and there's no better time to join the team than right now.
We are seeking a bright and highly motivated attorney to join our growing legal team as Counsel, Compliance. In this position, you will play a key role in supporting Vroom’s growth as a public company. Your primary area of focus will be regulatory compliance, with additional focus on escalated customer disputes and contract negotiation and review. Also, because we are a small legal team, we are seeking a flexible team player who relishes the opportunity to roll up their sleeves and cover the broad range of day-to-day legal needs of the organization. There is an amazing opportunity to learn and grow in this role. This role can be based in New York City or Stafford, TX.
- Support Vroom’s regulatory compliance strategy, including conducting research on applicable laws and regulations relating to automobile dealers, consumer finance, consumer protection, and other areas relevant to Vroom’s business, products and services
- Draft, document and update policies and procedures relevant to the above areas.
- Provide advice and assistance in the implementation of company-wide compliance programs, initiatives and trainings
- Advise all levels of business stakeholders in a clear manner regarding applicable compliance requirements with a solid understanding of Vroom’s business and the industry
- Assist in conducting internal compliance investigations, risk assessments and audits
- Liaise with inter-departmental team to support sales and logistics strategies and other initiatives in a manner that incorporates compliance with relevant regulations
- Handle escalated customer disputes related to compliance issues, in coordination with customer support team
- As needed, draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial agreements
- Collaborate with and manage outside counsel where applicable
- Remain available and flexible to support the needs of the legal and compliance functions
- J.D. from a top-tier law school
- Member of the TX or NY bar and in good standing
- 4 to 6 years of relevant experience
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience at a reputable law firm
- Both law firm and in-house experience preferred
- Experience with regulatory proceedings or litigation in relevant state and federal regulations, such as FCRA, TILA, ECOA, and UDAP, etc.
- Experience with state licensing matters
- Skilled at developing approaches to legal challenges while remaining business-focused
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new areas of law and regulation in a variety of jurisdictions
- Ability to multitask, work independently and carry out important projects with limited oversight
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities, judgment, communication and interpersonal skills
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- An understanding of the automotive or consumer finance industry
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements a plus
This full-time role offers competitive compensation; health, dental, and vision insurance; a 401k plan; fully company-paid short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance; access to a healthcare concierge service with virtual visits; and 20 annualized days of paid vacation.
But our biggest benefit is being part of a low-ego, high performing team that's transforming the used car market into a modern, online and data-driven industry. We are looking for people who want to be a part of a contemporary startup culture. What gets us out of bed is working with talented people on a mission that matter
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity
Vroom is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating a work environment where all employees can find their drive. To do that, we champion a workplace where each and every person is treated with dignity and respect and is valued for their unique perspective and contributions. Our values of SPEED: Service, Progress, Employees, Engagement, and Development are only possible in an environment where every individual has the ability to bring their whole selves to work and contribute fully.
Vroom’s policy is to maintain a working environment that encourages mutual respect, promotes harmonious and congenial relationships between employees, and is free from all forms of discrimination and harassment of any employee (or applicant for employment or service provider) by anyone, including supervisors, co-workers, vendors, or clients. Harassment and discrimination in any manner or form is expressly prohibited. There is no tolerance for discrimination or unequal treatment of any kind on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual and reproductive health decisions, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status or civil partnership/union status, familial status, military or veteran status, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This practice applies to all terms, conditions and privileges of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, rehire, termination of employment, development and training, compensation, benefits and retirement.