At Teachable, we’re on a mission to empower creators everywhere to share what you know. Through our company platform, we help thousands of creators build courses and teach online. Our software makes it easy to create beautiful online courses, and provides creators an integrated solution to collect payments from their students. Sign up with Teachable, create amazing courses, share those courses with students from around the world, get rewarded financially. Simple, right?
However, behind the scenes the Legal and Compliance team diligently manages complex issues to make sure that our creators, students, employees, and shareholders are kept safe and sound. Cutting across the company horizontally, the Legal team pivots from privacy laws, to changing tax requirements, to copyright and trademark rights, to marketing and advertising requirements, to new product development considerations, to employment laws in the wake of our current reality, and more. There’s never a dull day around here. If you’ve got the desire to join a passionate team who’s making a difference by empowering everyone to teach what they know, then please drop us a line!
Directly reporting to the VP, Legal and Compliance, you will be a central member of the team tasked with helping uncover, understand, and ultimately mitigate the legal and compliance risks that Teachable faces. You will be focusing your time on two sides of the same coin - law and compliance. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws. This role will be a key position that helps keep the organization safe and sound as we rapidly progress on our mission.
- You like variety and challenge yourself to know a lot about a lot of things
- You are decisive and take action but can collaborate to make things happen
- You’re motivated by mission and thrive in unstructured environments
- You’re here to make a difference (but you don’t mind the snacks and ping pong)
- You have some expertise in tax, copyright, trademark, privacy, risk management, payments, or compliance, and you want to learn about the things on that list that you don’t know
- You’re not comfortable with only partially solving the equation and good enough isn’t good enough for you
- You roll up your sleeves and get your stuff done
- You also know how to have fun and want to be part of a dynamic, diverse environment filled with smart, unique, passionate people
- Perform legal and compliance related research to guide the company’s initiatives
- Counsel and guide different departments as they seek legal and compliance advice
- Draft and negotiate contracts
- Develop expertise with respect to Privacy laws including the CCPA & GDPR, and advise on best practices for compliance
- Support payments processes, including fraud initiatives, customer screening, tax collection
- Develop deep expertise in state and local taxes, including those in major markets outside of the United States
- Assist in building the global compliance program at Teachable
- Respond to copyright and trademark questions, including DMCA notifications
- Work on the front lines with our Customer Operations team directly responding to legal and compliance issues that may be raised by our customers
- Implement risk assessments on various topics, including privacy and information security
- Stay current on issues that may impact us, such as OFAC, AML Requirements, State Tax Legislation, etc.
- Juris Doctor
- New York Bar membership or ability to register as In-House Counsel in New York
- 2 - 5 years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- Experience in payments, financial services, tax, privacy, regulatory compliance, or copyright a plus
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Proficiency with taking complex issues and reducing them to consumable, actionable information (after all Slack isn’t very conducive to long memos)
- Detail oriented
- Desire and comfortableness working in a startup environment
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than $850 million to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least January 2021
Comprehensive health benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premiums
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
Dependent Care FSA
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.