Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
The Director/Head of Coupang UX will be a core member of the UX leadership team, responsible for building and delivering a best-in-class customer experience for Coupang’s FinTech and payment offerings as we continue to rapidly scale. With its innovative technology and operational know-how, Coupang is transforming the entire customer experience. The FinTech UX team based in Seoul facilitates our customers’ check out process and CouPay’s service. CouPay has over 10 million members and has recently been spun off into its own separate business. We are obsessed about improving every step of the user experience in our mobile apps and website to easily make purchases and make the payment process seamless for our customers.
What You Will Do
- Recruit, interview and hire best in class designers, and actively raise the bar as we rapidly scale.
- Manage, develop and rapidly grow a high performing team of designers/researchers to optimize new and existing features overseeing all aspects of the design lifecycle.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization (Design, Product, Engineering, Marketing) to drive vision and strategy.
- Identify critical design problems and devise solutions that scale elegantly.
- Execute all stages of product design from concept to execution hands on. Create mocks, wireframes, prototypes, design specifications, presentations, processes, and framework.
- Introduce ways to integrate design thinking into the overall process and culture.
- Be an active mentor and a leader, including leadership of design critiques, reviews, and planning.
- Be an advocate for the Customer at every opportunity, drawing from research and data.
- 10+ years of experience delivering high quality designs and 3+ years of managerial experience
- Domain knowledge of the Payments and/or FinTech industries or understanding of the complexities of an e-commerce marketplace/consumer platform model
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation UX design/ interaction design/product design and its relative works including user research
- Track record of using data and quantitative research methodologies to inform decision making across the entire product design process/lifecycle
- Extensive experience closely partnering with product owners to develop strategy and rationale for features
- Extensive experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions
- Experience working and collaborating with diverse teams in a dynamic, rapid growth environment
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, HCI, Computer Science, Psychology, Ethnography or equivalent practical experience
- Prior experience in Payments, FinTech and/or e-commerce
- Excellent Korean written and verbal communication
- Business level English written and verbal communication
Recruitment Process and Others
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang asstated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email ([email protected]) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.