You eat, sleep, and breathe design. Specifically, focused on digital products. You’re entering your prime and want to invest the years of knowledge and experience you’ve collected into our design team. It’s never been just about making things pretty, but making things useful.
Supported by the VP of Design, your focus will be to ensure the design quality MetaLab is known for is upheld across all projects. You will be a vital part of each team you support providing direction, leadership, guidance, and encouragement.
We are not looking for those with experience that only touches in advertising, branding, campaigns, or marketing. We are a digital product shop, and the ability to understand digital product building is paramount to your success.
This role reports to the VP of Design and will be based in Vancouver or Victoria, B.C.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shares high-level design concepts with the design team for quality execution.
- Provides design leadership, coaching, and mentoring across several project teams.
- Pushes boundaries and breaks the status quo (without being a jerk about it).
- Manages a design team, giving constructive feedback and leading the evaluations of their work on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of design engagements.
- Involved in vetting, hiring, and training new members of the design team.
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the design team.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Team leadership. Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching an interface and product design team.
- Able to easily understand client needs and clearly communicate them with the team.
- Mastery level design knowledge in UI/UX and common design tools.
- Comfortable and confident with ambiguity.
- Understands product management and product lifecycles.
- Has built digital products from scratch.
- A deep and intimate understanding of digital product.
- Strong negotiation and client management skills.
- Ability to pitch, educate, and define design rationale to clients.
- You can articulate constructive feedback and know when to nudge your team to do better.
- Not an asshole—please leave your ego at the door.
- You want to build incredible products for incredible clients with an incredible group of people.